City
Epaper

Eight killed in suspected Marburg virus disease outbreak in Tanzania: WHO

By IANS | Updated: January 15, 2025 17:45 IST

Dar es Salaam, Jan 15 Eight people have been killed in a suspected outbreak of Marburg virus disease ...

Open in App

Dar es Salaam, Jan 15 Eight people have been killed in a suspected outbreak of Marburg virus disease in Tanzania's northwestern region of Kagera, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

In a statement, the WHO warned that the risk of further spread of the deadly disease in the country and the region is high.

The Tanzanian government has not yet commented on the WHO statement.

The United Nations health agency said it had informed its member states on Monday of an outbreak of suspected Marburg virus disease in Tanzania's Kagera Region.

"We are aware of nine cases so far, including eight people who have died. We would expect further cases in coming days as disease surveillance improves," WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a post on social media.

"WHO has offered its full assistance to the government of Tanzania and to affected communities," he added.

In March 2023, Tanzanian health authorities announced that an outbreak of Marburg viral disease that had killed five people in the Kagera Region was under control, Xinhua news agency reported.

According to the WHO, the highly fatal, zoonotic hemorrhagic disease is caused by the Marburg virus, and human-to-human transmission occurs through direct contact with body fluids from infected persons or contact with equipment and other materials contaminated with infectious blood or tissues, body fluids of infected people, and contaminated surfaces or materials.

Last month, Rwanda announced the end of the Marburg virus disease outbreak, initially declared on September 27.

The announcement followed 42 consecutive days with no new cases after the discharge of the last confirmed patient, meeting the WHO guidelines.

Rwanda recorded its last confirmed case on October 30 and its last Marburg-related death on October 14.

The outbreak, which began in mid-September 2024, resulted in 66 confirmed cases, including 15 deaths and 51 recoveries.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

BusinessExcise duty cut helps restrict fuel price hike to 4 per cent

NationalPlea filed in Delhi court seeking FIR against Pappu Yadav over remarks on women

NationalExcise duty cut helps restrict fuel price hike to 4 per cent

NationalBJP ex-MP Ramesh Bidhuri attends Delhi CEO meet, offers workers’ support for SIR

International"Popular or not, I have to do it": Trump on continuing Iran conflict

Health Realted Stories

HealthZambia to adapt India’s eVIN platform to strengthen medicine supply chain management

HealthSC's stray dog order draws mixed reactions from animal activists, locals, lawyers

HealthDR Congo reports over 130 suspected Ebola deaths

HealthDifferent Types of Blood Cancer & Early Warning Signs

HealthHaryana suspends four doctors for poor measures to improve sex ratio