City
Epaper

2024 becomes deadliest on record for humanitarian personnel: UN Relief Chief

By ANI | Updated: November 22, 2024 19:50 IST

Geneva [Switzerland], November 22 (ANI/WAM): The year 2024 has become the deadliest on record for humanitarian personnel, the United ...

Open in App

Geneva [Switzerland], November 22 (ANI/WAM): The year 2024 has become the deadliest on record for humanitarian personnel, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said today, citing data from the Aid Worker Security Database.

This grim milestone was reached with the recorded death of 281 aid workers globally, surpassing previous records.

"Humanitarian workers are being killed at an unprecedented rate, their courage and humanity being met with bullets and bombs," said Tom Fletcher, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator. "This violence is unconscionable and devastating to aid operations. States and parties to conflict must protect humanitarians, uphold international law, prosecute those responsible, and call time on this era of impunity."

The year 2023 also saw record fatalities compared to previous years, with 280 aid workers killed across 33 countries. The war in Gaza is driving up the numbers, with more than 320 humanitarian personnel killed since 7 October 2023. Many were killed in the line of duty while providing humanitarian assistance. Most were staff members of the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA).

Threats to aid workers extend beyond Gaza, with high levels of violence, kidnappings, injuries, harassment, and arbitrary detention reported in Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Sudan, Sudan, Ukraine and Yemen, among other countries.

The majority of fatalities involve local staff working with non-governmental organisations, UN agencies and the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement. Violence against humanitarian personnel is part of a broader trend of harm to civilians in conflict zones. Last year, more than 33,000 civilian deaths were recorded in 14 armed conflicts - a staggering 72 per cent increase from 2022. (ANI/WAM)

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalUS tightens curbs after American citizen tests positive for Ebola

InternationalTrump expands discount drug platform

EntertainmentOrry says he is ‘a reality show virgin’ ahead of KKK 15, says it's his retirement’

NationalHM Amit Shah to chair 26th Central Zone Council meeting in Bastar today

LifestyleToday's Horoscope, May 19, 2026: Check Your Zodiac Sign's Predictions and Birthday Forecast

International Realted Stories

InternationalUS to host G20 foreign ministers in Atlanta

InternationalTrump pauses Iran strike amid diplomatic push by Gulf nations

InternationalVance links US factory revival to China challenge

InternationalUS sanctions 11 Cuban officials, agencies

InternationalUS races to contain Ebola outbreak