City
Epaper

Afghanistan: Explosion hits court building in Faryab

By IANS | Updated: January 2, 2026 14:15 IST

Kabul, Jan 2 An explosion occurred at the court building in Faryab, creating panic and sparking fresh security ...

Open in App

Kabul, Jan 2 An explosion occurred at the court building in Faryab, creating panic and sparking fresh security concerns in northern Afghanistan, local media reported on Friday. Following the explosion, the emergency responders reached at the site of the incident.

The blast took place at the Court of Appeal building in Faryab on Thursday, causing panic in the surrounding area. At the time of the explosion, Taliban officials were holding a security meeting inside the building, indicating that the gathering could have been the target.

Some sources have claimed that the explosion occurred due to a rocket strike while others said that it was a planted mine explosion, leading Afghan news agency Khaama Press reported.

Health officials said that a number of dead and injured were taken to hospitals, however, the exact casualty figures have not been released yet. So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack and Taliban officials have not yet released an official statement about the incident or its aftermath.

Last October, nine people were injured after a hand grenade exploded inside a mosque during evening prayers in Afghanistan's Parwan province, according to local officials.

The explosion took place during evening prayers in Shinwari district on October 19, Afghanistan's leading news agency Khaama Press reported. Officials said the blast took place after a man accidentally dropped a grenade he was carrying.

Nine people suffered injuries and were taken to the hospital for treatment. According to witnesses, the man who dropped the grenade was a member of the Taliban and also suffered injuries in the explosion.

No further details regarding the identity of the suspect or why he was carrying a weapon in the mosque were released by the authorities.

The incident took place a week after a similar attack took place in Bamiyan province, when armed men opened fire on worshippers during prayers.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalUS clears $428.2 million military support package for India covering Apache helicopters, M777 Howitzers

National"Can proudly say India has become free from Naxalism": Amit Shah meets CAPFs personnel, victims of naxal violence in Chhattisgarh

NationalSuspicion cannot justify taking law into own hands: Congress' Sama Ram Mohan Reddy on altercation over alleged illegal cow transport

NationalJ-K traffic police deploy speed radar guns on national highway to curb over speeding, boost safety

InternationalIndia Pavilion at 13th World Urban Forum in Baku inaugurated by Ambassador Abhay Kumar

International Realted Stories

InternationalElon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI, jury cites expired statute of limitations

InternationalHave 'put off' planned attack on Iran due to "big discussion" with Tehran: Trump

InternationalThree killed in San Diego mosque shooting; two teen suspects found dead

InternationalPeople 'misunderstand' India by reading reports by "ignorant NGOs": MEA highlights vast media landscape over question concerning human rights

InternationalPM Modi calls on Norway's King Harald V in Oslo, reaffirms strong bilateral ties: MEA