City
Epaper

Austria to close mosque in wake of Vienna terror attack

By ANI | Updated: November 7, 2020 15:25 IST

The Austrian government will close mosques after the deadly terrorist attack in Vienna earlier this week, said the Ministry of the Interior on Friday (local time).

Open in App

The Austrian government will close mosque after the deadly terrorist attack in Vienna earlier this week, said the Ministry of the Interior on Friday (local time).

A ministry spokesperson said more details would soon be given in a news conference with Interior Minister Karl Nehammer and Integration Minister Susanne Raab, reported Al Jazeera.

Four people were killed in a shooting on Monday, Austria's first major terror attack in decades. The man who opened fire in Vienna was identified as a 20-year-old Austrian citizen, Kujtim Fejzulai, who was killed by police during the assault, Al Jazeera further said.

A statement from the officials of Austria said in "discussion with the relevant authorities, we are closing one mosque" as it posed a threat to national security.

Fejzulai had traveled to Syria to join the Islamic State, but he was released early from prison in December. Since his release from prison, he had repeatedly visited two mosques. The two mosques were in Vienna's western suburbs. One called the Melit Ibrahim mosque in the Ottakring district and the other Tawhid mosque in the Meidling area.

( With inputs from ANI )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

BusinessIndiGo says no flight cancellations over Airbus software snag, only slight delays

BusinessTitiksha Public School Celebrates Silver Jubilee with Grand Cultural Extravaganza at Talkatora Stadium

BusinessNCR's Luxury Projects Redefining High-End Living

Entertainment120 Bahadur Box Office Collection Day 8: Farhan Akhtar, Raashii Khanna’s Film Crosses Rs 15 Crore Mark

Entertainment‘Bigg Boss 19’: Salman Khan questions Gaurav Khanna’s gameplay

International Realted Stories

InternationalEx-Bangladesh PM Khaleda Zia's son expresses desire to return as her condition worsens

InternationalOperation Sagar Bandhu: IAF IL-76 arrives in Sri Lanka with 80 NDRF personnel, relief supplies

InternationalCyclone Ditwah: Death toll in Sri Lanka climbs to 123, rescue efforts intensify

InternationalS. Korea: Alcohol makers allowed to choose text or pictogram under new warning

InternationalIAF airlifts 21 tonnes of relief material to Sri Lanka under Operation Sagar Bandhu