City
Epaper

Cambodia accuses Thailand of dropping cluster bombs

By IANS | Updated: December 24, 2025 17:00 IST

Phnom Penh/Bangkok, Dec 24 Cambodia said on Wednesday that the Thai military used fighter jets to drop cluster ...

Open in App

Phnom Penh/Bangkok, Dec 24 Cambodia said on Wednesday that the Thai military used fighter jets to drop cluster bombs in Banteay Meanchey province. The Thai army responded that the cluster bombs deployed exclusively targetted military objectives.

The Thai military also used fighter jets to drop four bombs into civilian areas in Battambang province, the Cambodian Ministry of Defence said in a press release, Xinhua News Agency reported.

The Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority on Tuesday expressed its grave concern regarding reports of Thailand's use of cluster munitions and toxic gas in or near civilian areas.

Winthai Suvaree, spokesperson for the Royal Thai Army, said on Wednesday that what Cambodia claimed to be cluster bombs were used against military targets, and these shells are not weapons designed to harm civilians.

Winthai emphasized that the Convention on Cluster Munitions, which prohibits parties from using, producing, or stockpiling such weapons, is not binding because neither Thailand nor Cambodia is a party to the convention.

On Tuesday, a Cambodian defence spokesperson said that Thai military forces continued to use artillery and tank-mounted machine guns to fire at multiple targets in Cambodian territory.

"The Thai military had attacked locations where Cambodian civilians resided, resulting in 21 civilian deaths, including one infant, and injuries to 83 others as of 6 pm on December 22," Defence Ministry's Undersecretary of State and Spokesperson Lt. General Maly Socheata said at a press briefing.

The Cambodia-Thailand border conflict has reignited since December 7, and both sides have accused the other of initiating the attack.

According to the latest figures released by the Cambodian Ministry of Interior, the conflict has so far forced about 545,000 Cambodians to flee their homes for safe shelters.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

NationalTMC conducting fact-finding on alleged 'vote theft', SIR issues: Dola Sen

InternationalIndia, Norway elevate ties to 'Green Strategic Partnership' covering climate action, energy, supply chains, blue economy: MEA

NationalAAP MLA Sanjeev Jha alleges Delhi govt cancelling 8 lakh ration cards, issue only 2 lakh new ones

NationalIMD issues yellow alert as Jaisalmer temperature soars above 45°C

National3 arrested near Chandigarh's Sector 43 ISBT after cross-firing with police

International Realted Stories

InternationalOur Constitution guarantees people's rights: MEA rebuts question over human rights in India

InternationalTrump says US halts 'planned' attack on Iran after appeals from Gulf leaders

InternationalNetanyahu's corruption trial testimony postponed again due to 'security, diplomatic arrangements'

InternationalWe are offering best opportunities available to take manufacturing to next level: PM Modi in Norway

InternationalUS-Iran Tensions Deepen After Trump’s Fresh Warning to Tehran