City
Epaper

Canada confirms first hantavirus case

By IANS | Updated: May 18, 2026 07:20 IST

Ottawa, May 18 The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has confirmed a case of hantavirus in a ...

Open in App

Ottawa, May 18 The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has confirmed a case of hantavirus in a cruise passenger currently isolating in British Columbia following laboratory testing.

PHAC said in a statement on Sunday that samples from British Columbia were sent to the agency's National Microbiology Laboratory (NML) in Winnipeg for confirmatory testing.

According to the agency, one individual's sample was confirmed positive for hantavirus on Saturday. A second individual, a travelling partner of the confirmed case, was confirmed negative, Xinhua news agency reported.

No additional cases have been identified so far. PHAC said all high-risk contacts are isolating and will continue to be closely monitored by local public health authorities, adding that the overall risk to the general population in Canada remains low at this time.

The outbreak occurred aboard the polar expedition cruise ship MV Hondius and has resulted in three deaths so far. The incubation period for hantavirus generally ranges from one to eight weeks.

Earlier, health authorities in Canada's British Columbia province announced that a Canadian cruise passenger currently in isolation has tested presumptive positive for hantavirus

Bonnie Henry, a provincial health officer, said the patient began developing mild symptoms, including fever and headache, two days ago and was taken to a local hospital. The presumptive positive result came back on Friday and the person is currently being treated in isolation as a positive patient.

Meanwhile, the Dutch government announced earlier that the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius is expected to arrive at the Port of Rotterdam next Monday, with most crew members set to undergo a six-week quarantine in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

"Rotterdam has been designated in the Netherlands as the port for the handling of infectious diseases in shipping," according to a letter sent to parliament on Friday (local time) and signed by Sophie Hermans, Dutch minister of health, welfare and sport, and Tom Berendsen, the country's foreign minister.

According to Oceanwide Expeditions, the Dutch operator of the vessel, there are currently 27 people on board, including 25 crew members and two medical personnel. The group consists of 17 Filipinos, four Dutch nationals, four Ukrainians, one Russian, and one Polish national.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

Other SportsWest Ham closer to relegation after penultimate Premier League weekend

Cricket"We play this venue as an away.....": DC coach Badani raises frustration over home conditions after win over RR

EntertainmentHrithik Roshan wishes cousin Eshaan Roshan on b’day: You are a giant

Politics"Attacks on Sikhs, atrocities": BJP MP Nishikant Dubey slams Congress govt for Op Blue Star

InternationalNorway supports India's permanent membership in UNSC, strongly condemns terrorism: Envoy on PM Modi’s visit

International Realted Stories

InternationalJP Nadda to attend 79th World Health Assembly in Switzerland today

International"Can develop climate solution for entire world": PM Modi on establishment of India-Sweden Science and Technology Centre

InternationalPM Modi conferred with Sweden's 'Order of the Polar Star', calls it "an honour for 140 crore people of India"

InternationalSikhs of America honours diaspora achievers

International2 US Navy jets collide midair during Idaho air show; All 4 crew members eject safely