City
Epaper

China to exempt additional tariffs on more US products

By IANS | Updated: December 19, 2019 12:00 IST

China on Thursday released another list of US products that will be exempted from the first round of additional tariffs on American goods.

Open in App

This is the second set of American goods to be excluded from China's first round of tariff countermeasures against the US Section 301 measures, Xinhua news agency quoted the Customs Tariff Commission of the State Council as saying in a statement.

The exemption list will be valid from December 26, 2019 to December 25, 2020, said the statement.

Tariffs that have already been levied will not be refunded, it added.

The remaining US products subject to China's first round of additional tariffs will not be excluded for the time being.

Next, the commission will continue to work on the exemption process, and release the exemption lists of US goods subject to the second round of additional tariffs in due course.

After nearly 18 months of trade conflict and the continuous escalation of tensions derived from the tariff war, China's Vice Minister of Commerce Wang Shouwen on December 13 said that the two sides have reached a first-phase agreement that addresses issues including technology transfer, intellectual property, trade expansion and the establishment of mechanisms for dispute resolution.

Almost simultaneously, US President Donald Trump confirmed the deal in a tweet and said that Washington would not impose the previously-announced fresh tariffs on Chinese goods scheduled to come into effect on Sunday.

The cancellation of those tariffs prompted China to also drop its own duties on US goods that had been set as a retaliatory measure.

Ever since the announcement of a possible agreement in October, negotiations between the Asian and American giants have seen several upheavals, including the spread of contradictory information and mutually-lobbed veiled criticism.

The trade tensions between Beijing and Washington that began in 2018 have had immense international consequences.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: uschinawashingtonDonald TrumpXinhua
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalHantavirus Outbreak on MV Hondius: 2 Indian Crew Members Aboard Infected Cruise Ship; Donald Trump Says Virus Situation Under Control

InternationalSaudi Arabia Suspended US Access to Military Bases Amid Strait of Hormuz Operation: Report

InternationalWho Is Vivek Ramaswamy? Indian-Origin Republican Nominated for Ohio Governor

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

International Realted Stories

InternationalHow India kept power supply flowing to support Bangladesh despite hostile new regime

InternationalBeijing rejects report claiming Xi told Trump that Putin might "regret" Ukraine invasion

InternationalIran warns US, Israel against repeated aggression, says 'will open new fronts with new tools, methods'

InternationalDefence Minister Rajnath Singh arrives in South Korea on second leg of two-nation visit

InternationalPM Modi, Finnish counterpart hold talks on doubling trade by 2030, digital ties; announce joint hosting of World Circular Economy Forum in Sept