City
Epaper

Chinese Premier tells HK's Lam to end protests, fix problems

By IANS | Updated: December 16, 2019 10:40 IST

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang told Hong Kong CEO Carrie Lam on Monday that her government must continue its efforts to end the violence and chaos in the city, while also addressing the deep-rooted problems in society.

Open in App

The meeting, at the Hong Kong room of the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, came on the third day of Lam's annual duty visit to China, reports the South China Morning Post newspaper.

"The central government (of China) fully acknowledges the efforts made by you and the city's government," Li told Lam.

"The city's government must continue to make efforts in stopping violence and ending chaos in accordance with the law, and restore order.

"It must also study with urgency the deep-rooted conflicts and problems in Hong Kong's socio-economic development, and safeguard the city's long-term prosperity and stability," the premier added.

In response to Li, Lam admitted Hong Kong that had faced a very grim situation on the political, economic and social front over the past year.

The city has recorded a significant economic downturn over the first six months, she said, but attributed it to external factors, such as the ongoing US-China trade war.

"There would be a more significant downturn in the third quarter because of the internal social unrest," Lam added.

Lam is expected to meet President Xi Jinping at the Zhongnanhai leadership compound on Monday afternoon.

More than 6,000 people have been arrested in connection with the protests, which were triggered in June by the now-withdrawn extradition bill and have evolved into a wider, increasingly violent, anti-government campaign, said the South China Morning Post.

Coupled with the US-China trade war, the unrest has pushed the city into a recession.

The economy shrank 3.2 per cent in the third quarter, from the previous one, while GDP was down 2.9 per cent in the third quarter year on year, the biggest contraction in a decade.

After the pro-Beijing camp suffered a humiliating defeat at the district council elections last month, protests have been largely peaceful.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: chinaLAMHong Kongbeijing
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

InternationalChina Miracle: Man Survives After Heart Stops Beating for 40 Hours Using This Technology

International'Illegal Military Operations': China Accuses US and Israel of Strait of Hormuz Crisis

NationalDelhi Government Orders Removal of 2.5 Lakh Chinese CCTV Cameras Over Security Concerns

International Realted Stories

International42 US aircraft lost or damaged during Operation Epic Fury against Iran, says Congressional report

InternationalPM Modi shares heartfelt moments with Indian diaspora upon arrival in Rome, witnesses cultural, classical performances

InternationalIranians realise Nuclear weapons a "red line" for US; we are negotiating in good faith: VP JD Vance

InternationalNordic nations condemn Pahalgam, Red Fort terror attacks at Oslo Summit; vow stronger anti-terror cooperation in joint statement with India

InternationalIndia, Nordic nations stress on WTO's central role, maritime security cooperation at Oslo Summit