City
Epaper

Don't blame police for clashes: HK security chief

By IANS | Updated: June 19, 2019 15:40 IST

Hong Kong's security chief John Lee Ka-chiu on Wednesday said that the police should not take the blame for the political row over the controversial extradition bill, as he apologized to the public for the rift caused by the government's handling of the proposal.

Open in App

The bill, which was first proposed in February, would allow suspects to be sent to China for trial. It has met massive opposition across the region over concerns by human rights organizations that it would allow activists, non-profit workers and journalists be tried under a Chinese judicial system which offers no guarantees.

Massive protests forced the government to announce on Saturday the suspension of the highly divisive bill. Despite the announcement, another mass protest went ahead on Sunday, attended by nearly 2 million people, according to organisers.

Secretary for Security Lee repeatedly dodged calls from the pro-democracy camp for him to step down, instead echoing Chief Executive Carrie Lam's words that it was time for society to move on from the controversy, the South China Morning Post reported.

"As part of the team overseeing the legislative amendment, like the Chief Executive, I'd like to apologize for the controversies and rifts it has caused in society," he said.

Lee was grilled by opposition lawmakers during a question and answer session at the Legislative Council on the government's refusal to withdraw the bill and the police's alleged use of excessive force during last week's clashes.

"If the public has any discontent with the government, please don't vent it against our officers, because they were also threatened with violence."

Chief Executive Lam on Tuesday offered her "most sincere apology" to all people in Hong Kong over the government's deficiencies in handling the extradition bill.

During clashes between the police and tens of thousands of protesters last week, the police fired 150 rounds of tear gas. Rubber bullets and beanbag rounds were also used against protesters.

The Security Minister, who was a high-ranking police officer before joining the Cabinet, acknowledged the public backlash and subsequent anxiety, but said any discontent with the government should not be directed at the police force.

"They were also treated violently (by protesters) … officers' lives were threatened," Lee said, adding that the police defence barriers were rushed by protesters, some of whom threw bricks and metal bars at officers.

That, he said, left them with little choice but "to use minimum force like tear gas and rubber bullets, which was compatible with overseas standards".

The police arrested 32 protesters in connection with the unrest, including five for rioting offences. In an apparent effort to pacify protesters, Lee on Wednesday refrained from mentioning the rioting arrests.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: LEEchinaCarrie LamSouth China Morning Post
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake in China: Quake of Magnitude 6.0 Hits East China Sea

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

InternationalChina Miracle: Man Survives After Heart Stops Beating for 40 Hours Using This Technology

International'Illegal Military Operations': China Accuses US and Israel of Strait of Hormuz Crisis

International Realted Stories

InternationalRajnath Singh holds meeting with South Korea's Defence Acquisition Program Administration Minister

InternationalPakistan: PTI stages sit-in protest after police stop them from meeting Imran Khan

InternationalKhalistan networks replicate Mumbai underworld model, groom juveniles for low-cost, high-success attacks

International'PRAGATI 2026': 12 countries join multinational military exercise in Meghalaya

InternationalUS seizes Iran-linked 'shadow fleet' tanker in Indian Ocean amid Trump's strike threats