City
Epaper

HK activists arrested ahead of weekend protests

By IANS | Updated: August 30, 2019 09:55 IST

Three Hong Kong pro-democracy activists, including Joshua Wong who was one of the main leaders of the Umbrella Revolution in 2014, have been arrested ahead of a proposed mass protest that has been banned by police, authorities said on Friday.

Open in App

Wong, pro-independence activist Agnes Chow and campaigner Andy Chan are seen as key figureheads of anti-government movements in Hong Kong over recent years, reports the South China Morning Post.

According to a police source, Wong and Chow were arrested on Friday morning for unlawful assembly in relation to the siege of police headquarters in Wan Chai by thousands of protesters on June 21, when demonstrators demanded a complete withdrawal of the now-shelved extradition bill and an exoneration of those arrested in previous clashes.

A third member of the party Ivan Lam, who was also accused of taking part in an unauthorised assembly, was said to be out of town.

Wong, who served time in jail for his role in the 2014 Occupy movement, was detained early on Friday on his way to a metro station, according to the pro-democracy Demosisto party of which he is secretary-general.

A police source said Chow was arrested at her home in Tai Po.

Both are being held for questioning at police headquarters in Wan Chai.

Meanwhile, Chan was arrested on suspicion of rioting and assaulting a police officer on Thursday night after he was stopped from boarding a plane at the Hong Kong International Airport.

Chan confirmed his arrest on a Facebook post.

The arrests come after the police earlier this week, rejected the Civil Human Rights Front's plan to march from Central to Beijing's liaison office in Sai Ying Pun on Saturday, reports the South China Morning Post.

The Front is behind the biggest marches held in Hong Kong since the eruption of the political crisis in early June, sparked by the now-abandoned extradition bill, which would have allowed criminal suspects to be sent back to mainland China.

Speaking on a radio programme on Friday, the Front's convenor Jimmy Sham said if they lost their appeal, the march would be postponed.

"The front can only apply for another date for a march. We will not organise an unlawful march," he said.

The anti-government movement has five main demands, including the bill's complete withdrawal, the establishment of an independent inquiry into police's handling of protests and genuine universal suffrage.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: Agnes ChowHong KongAndy ChanchinaWong
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

InternationalChina Miracle: Man Survives After Heart Stops Beating for 40 Hours Using This Technology

International'Illegal Military Operations': China Accuses US and Israel of Strait of Hormuz Crisis

NationalDelhi Government Orders Removal of 2.5 Lakh Chinese CCTV Cameras Over Security Concerns

International Realted Stories

InternationalOver 175 ISIS fighters killed in joint US-led airstrikes in Nigeria

InternationalIndia pitches digital health revolution at World Health Assembly

InternationalPM Modi pushes for peace in Ukraine, West Asia at India-Nordic Summit

InternationalUS imposes fresh sanctions on Iran-linked exchange firms, oil vessels under 'Economic Fury'

InternationalPM Modi arrives in Rome to conclude five-nation tour