City
Epaper

Israeli military says intercepted two rockets launched from Gaza

By IANS | Updated: October 17, 2024 13:10 IST

Jerusalem, Oct 17 Two rockets fired from the northern Gaza Strip were intercepted by Israeli air defence systems, ...

Open in App

Jerusalem, Oct 17 Two rockets fired from the northern Gaza Strip were intercepted by Israeli air defence systems, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said.

Following the launches on Wednesday evening, sirens were sounded in the southern Israeli city of Sderot and nearby villages, reports Xinhua news agency.

Sirens were also activated later in the Upper Galilee region in northern Israel, with no casualties reported.

Earlier in the day, Israel's Magen David Adom rescue service reported that four people were slightly injured following the launch of 30 projectiles from Lebanon into the Upper Galilee.

Also on Wednesday, the Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement, claimed that it had bombed Sderot, Nir Am, and Israeli settlements near Gaza with a barrage of rockets.

Additionally, Israeli warplanes renewed on Wednesday their raids on Beirut's suburbs after days of cautious calm, launching three consecutive airstrikes on Haret Hreik.

The raids were preceded by an Israeli warning to evacuate several buildings in Haret Hreik in the Dahieh suburbs, Xinhua news agency reported, quoting the Lebanese National News Agency.

Israeli army spokesman claimed that the Israeli aircraft "raided weapons for Hezbollah stored underground in a warehouse in the southern suburb, with precise intelligence guidance from the Military Intelligence Service."

Beirut's southern suburbs have been spared from Israeli airstrikes in the past five days, while Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati said on Tuesday that Lebanon had obtained "a kind of a guarantee" from the United States to reduce the Israeli escalation in Beirut and its southern suburbs.

Since September 23, the Israeli army has been launching an unprecedented, intensive air attack on Lebanon, dubbed "Arrows of the North," in a dangerous escalation with Hezbollah.

The death toll from Israeli airstrikes on Lebanon since the beginning of the Hezbollah-Israeli conflict on October 8, 2023, reached 2,350, while injuries went up to 10,906.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalHondurans to decide whether to go from Left to Right as polling begins

International"Biden, Harris screwed our country," says Trump as US admin enhances vetting measures for immigrants

InternationalHomeland Security holds Biden administration responsible for killing of Sarah Beckstrom

CricketBCCI president Manhas hails Team India for win over South Africa at Ranchi

Cricket"There's no questions about anything": Batting coach Kotak on Virat's long-term future after ton at Ranchi

International Realted Stories

InternationalPope Leo reiterates the two-state solution for Israeli-Palestine conflict

InternationalUS: 4 die, 10 injured in mass shooting in family gathering

InternationalIndian Air Force aircraft brings further relief material upon Sri Lanka's request as Ditwah wreaks havoc

International"US benefited immensely from talented Indians": Elon Musk

International"Even Army is not sure whether Asim Munir is chief or not": Former Member of NSAB Tilak Devasher