City
Epaper

NZ extends border exception for Christchurch attack sentencing

By IANS | Updated: July 10, 2020 16:10 IST

Wellington, July 10 Overseas-based victims of the Christchurch mosque shootings will get special border passes to fly into ...

Open in App

Wellington, July 10 Overseas-based victims of the Christchurch mosque shootings will get special border passes to fly into New Zealand along with financial help to witness the gunman's sentencing next month, the government announced on Friday.

"We want to support our valued Muslim brothers and sisters who were directly affected by this tragic event and understand that some who are now offshore do want to attend the sentencing," The New Zealand Herald quoted Immigration Minister Iain Lees-Galloway as saying.

"We have quickly established a process to allow victims and a family member or support person to come to New Zealand using new humanitarian grounds. This is within our intent for the use of this provision," he said.

The government also announced a one-off extension to the Victim Assistance Scheme, which will financially support more victims of the mosque attacks to travel to attend the sentencing, has also been announced this afternoon.

The extension enables all victims who were in the mosques at the time of the attacks to be eligible to receive contributions towards travel-related costs, rather than just being restricted to those who suffered gunshot injuries, and the families of the dead.

"This one-off exception recognises the unprecedented nature of the attacks and the trauma on all victims who were present. Sentencing is an important part of our justice process," said the Ministry of Justice's chief operating officer Carl Crafar.

The terrorist attack in Al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch on March 15, 2019, the worst in New Zealand's history, left 51 people dead.

Along with all 51 murders, the gunman has been convicted on 40 charges of attempted murder relating to the two attacks, reports The New Zealand Herald.

He pleaded guilty to one charge of engaging in a terrorist act laid under the Terrorism Suppression Act 2002.

The sentencing had been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and was only confirmed by the courts last week.

New Zealand's borders have been closed to everyone other than citizens and residents due to the health crisis.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: Carl CrafarChristchurchNew Zealand HeraldMinistry Of JusticeWellingtonMy new zealand farm
Open in App

Related Stories

CricketNZ vs SA: South Africa Beat New Zealand by 33 Runs to Win T20I Series 3-2

CricketNZ vs SA 5th T20I: James Neesham Wins Toss, New Zealand Opt to Bowl Against South Africa in Series Decider; Check Playing XIs

CricketNZ vs SA 5th T20I LIVE Cricket Streaming: When and Where To Watch New Zealand vs South Africa Match in India

CricketNew Zealand vs South Africa 5th T20I: Weather Forecast, Pitch Report, Match Timing, NZ vs SA Probable Playing XIs and Live Streaming Details

CricketNZ vs SA 4th T20I: Keshav Maharaj Wins Toss, South Africa Opt To Bat First Against New Zealand; Check Playing XIs

International Realted Stories

International"Highly productive meeting": Indian, S Korean Defence Ministries deepen defence cooperation

InternationalXi JInping calls for end of hosilities in Gulf region during meeting with Putin

International'Indian music getting very popular': PM Modi on Italian artists performing Hamsadhwani raga

InternationalConfident our relations are fully poised to reach new heights: Rajnath Singh on India-South Korea defence ties

InternationalIndia stays world’s fastest-growing economy recording 6.4 pc rise despite Iran war fallout