City
Epaper

Over 175 ISIS fighters killed in joint US-led airstrikes in Nigeria

By IANS | Updated: May 19, 2026 23:55 IST

Abuja, May 19 The death toll among Islamic State fighters in Nigeria has risen to 175 after several ...

Open in App

Abuja, May 19 The death toll among Islamic State fighters in Nigeria has risen to 175 after several days of joint airstrikes between Nigeria and the United States in the country's northeast.

More than "175 ISIS militants were eliminated on the battlefield," Nigeria’s army spokesman Samaila Uba said in a statement on Tuesday.

"The joint strikes destroyed checkpoints, weapons depots, logistics centres, military equipment, and the headquarters of financial networks used to support terrorist operations," he added.

Since 2009, the jihadist insurgency led by Boko Haram and subsequently the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) has killed more than 40,000 people and displaced over two million people in the northeast of the country, according to the United Nations, Adnkronos news agency reported.

Military cooperation between Abuja and Washington has been intensifying for several months.

"The Nigerians have played a crucial role over the past few months: they identified the target, helped us gather intelligence, and provided the support necessary to complete this mission," AFRICOM Commander Dagvin Anderson told a congressional hearing in Washington.

Last week, Nigerian President Bola Tinubu said that Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second-in-command of the Islamic State (IS) globally, was eliminated in an overnight operation jointly carried out by Nigerian and US forces.

In a statement, Tinubu described the joint operation as "a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism," which dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the IS.

He said early assessments confirmed the elimination of the wanted senior leader, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin.

On Friday (US time), US President Donald Trump said on Truth Social that the IS leader had been killed in a joint operation by US and Nigerian forces.

"Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield," Trump stated.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalAfter seven failed attempts, US Senate passes resolution to limit President Trump's war powers in Iran

NationalJ-K: Excessive heat in May affects hybrid flowers in Udhampur's Jakhani Park

NationalSuvendu Adhikari PA murder case: CBI arrests fifth accused in UP's Varanasi

CricketI know I can hit three boundaries or sixes anytime: Vaibhav Sooryavanshi

EntertainmentDragon glimpse out: Jr NTR goes on a killing spree in land of villains of Prashanth Neel's directorial

International Realted Stories

International42 US aircraft lost or damaged during Operation Epic Fury against Iran, says Congressional report

InternationalPM Modi shares heartfelt moments with Indian diaspora upon arrival in Rome, witnesses cultural, classical performances

InternationalIranians realise Nuclear weapons a "red line" for US; we are negotiating in good faith: VP JD Vance

InternationalNordic nations condemn Pahalgam, Red Fort terror attacks at Oslo Summit; vow stronger anti-terror cooperation in joint statement with India

InternationalIndia, Nordic nations stress on WTO's central role, maritime security cooperation at Oslo Summit