City
Epaper

Pakistan: Protests continue in Kurram over road closures amid crisis

By ANI | Updated: December 23, 2024 14:20 IST

Kurram [Pakistan], December 23 : Protests against the prolonged road closures in Kurram persisted on Sunday, as residents held ...

Open in App

Kurram [Pakistan], December 23 : Protests against the prolonged road closures in Kurram persisted on Sunday, as residents held a sit-in outside the Parachinar Press Club, braving freezing temperatures. The blockade has caused severe shortages of food, medicine, and essential goods in the region, Dawn reported.

Philanthropist Faisal Edhi said that more than 50 children had died due to a lack of medical facilities, with some sources suggesting the death toll could be even higher, as per the Dawn report.

Tehsil Council Chairman Agha Muzammil Hussain condemned the government for "besieging" Parachinar, worsening the humanitarian crisis. Member of Provincial Assembly Ali Hadi Irfani also criticised the government's "unnecessary actions" and called for immediate relief efforts.

Local businesses have been forced to close due to food shortages, and the district administration is negotiating to reopen roads. Despite these dire reports, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government recently rejected claims that deaths in Upper Kurram were caused by a shortage of medicines.

Local chemists and drug associations had reported a lack of supplies due to the ongoing road closures. The adviser to the Chief Minister on Health, Ihtesham Ali, stated that no deaths had occurred due to medicine shortages and insisted that the government was ensuring uninterrupted medical aid.

He mentioned that medical supplies, including vaccines and essential medicines, worth Pakistani Rupees (PKR) 30 million had been sent to Kurram, with medicines being delivered by helicopter and distributed by local health authorities. Ali also acknowledged the logistical challenges, including delays in clearing medicines at airports, but assured that they were being managed efficiently.

Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government spokesperson Barrister Mohammad Ali Saif urged armed groups in the region to voluntarily surrender their weapons, warning that the government may take action if the situation does not improve.

He emphasised that road access would be restored immediately once weapons were surrendered. The ongoing crisis has been further complicated by sectarian tensions, with the government seeking a long-term resolution through dialogue with local leaders.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

Other SportsMassive privilege for current South African team to go up against Virat and Rohit: Steyn

EntertainmentSean Combs organises Thanksgiving meals for inmates at Fort Dix prison

BusinessOil India commences offshore drilling in Kerala-Konkan basin

NationalSIR Phase II: 99.53 per cent enumeration forms distributed across 12 states; digitisation stands at 78.97pc

NationalChilling details emerge after Pan masala tycoon's daughter-in-law's suicide; husband, mother-in-law booked

International Realted Stories

InternationalHong Kong: No remains found after search of two fire-hit residential buildings, says police

InternationalImran Khan alive in Adiala Jail, Pak Lawmaker says regime pressuring him to leave country

InternationalNepal: Relevance of Bhagavad Gita as eternal guide for overcoming challenges spotlighted

InternationalPTI Senator Khurram Zeeshan alleges "complete isolation" of Imran Khan, calls situation a "clear human rights violation"

InternationalSri Lanka declares emergency as Cyclone Ditwah kills 123, 130 remain missing