City
Epaper

UN Security Council condemns alarming attacks on civilians in Afghanistan

By ANI | Updated: March 14, 2021 00:07 IST

The United Nations Security Council has condemned the alarming number of attacks deliberately targeting civilians in Afghanistan and called for an immediate end to these attacks and stressed for the urgent need to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Open in App

The United Nations Security Council has condemned the alarming number of attacks deliberately targeting civilians in Afghstan and called for an immediate end to these attacks and stressed for the urgent need to bring the perpetrators to justice.

In a statement released, the council said that these heinous attacks have targeted civil servants, the judiciary, the media, health-care and humtarian workers, including women in prominent positions, those who protect and promote human rights, and ethnic and religious minorities.

"The members of the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims, and they wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured," the Security Council said in a statement issued on Friday by Council President Linda Thomas-Greenfield (United States).

The members of the Security Council expressed their deep concern regarding the increase of these targeted attacks in the months following the start of the Afghstan peace negotiations on 12 September 2020.

"The members of the Security Council recognized that a sustainable peace can be achieved only through a comprehensive and inclusive Afghan-led, Afghan-owned peace process that aims at a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire, as well as an inclusive political settlement to end the conflict in Afghstan," the statement read.

They stressed the need for full, equal and mengful participation of women in this regard. The members of the Security Council strongly encouraged parties to the negotiations to pursue confidence-building measures, including reductions in violence, and to continue to engage in good faith.

"The members of the Security Council called for an immediate end to these targeted attacks and stressed the urgent and imperative need to bring the perpetrators to justice. The members of the Security Council recalled that all parties must respect their obligations under international humtarian law in all circumstances, including those related to the protection of civilians."

Last February, the Taliban and the Afghan government reached a landmark US-brokered agreement, paving the way for peace talks, which began in the Qatari capital of Doha on September 12.

The intra-Afghan talks have so far failed to put an end to the confrontation on the ground. On the contrary, Afghstan has witnessed a spate of bomb attacks and clashes in recent months, with the military continuing to regularly conduct operations against Taliban operatives.

( With inputs from ANI )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: dohaUnited Nations Security CouncilSecurity CouncilUnited StatesThe statesEuaFar-westSuaUnited states state
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake in US: Powerful 7.5 Quake Strikes Drake Passage, No Tsunami Risk

OpinionsWhy is Trump So Upset with India?

MumbaiMumbai: Viral Video Shows Foreigner Mobbed for Selfies, Sparks Online Outcry Over Tourist Safety

EntertainmentAkshay Oberoi Set to Make His International Debut, The Actor Jets Off to the US

InternationalIndian Woman Caught Stealing Merchandise Worth Over INR 1 Lakh from US Store; Video Surfaces

International Realted Stories

InternationalDefence Minister Says Israel 'will not rest or be silent until everyone returns home'

InternationalIsraeli forces capture suspected terrorists in Southern Syria

InternationalUN Security Council to hold emergency meeting after deadly Russian strikes in Kyiv

InternationalSingapore PM to visit India next week, several MoUs likely to be signed

InternationalJapan will take 50,000 "skilled and semi-skilled personnel" from India in 5 years: MEA