City
Epaper

US halts all visa issuance to Afghan citizens

By IANS | Updated: November 29, 2025 09:05 IST

Washington, Nov 29 The United States has paused Afghan visas, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, two days ...

Open in App

Washington, Nov 29 The United States has paused Afghan visas, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, two days after a man from Afghanistan shot and killed one National Guard soldier and critically injured another near the White House.

"President (Donald) Trump's State Department has paused visa issuance for all individuals travelling on Afghan passports," Rubio wrote on the social platform X. "The United States has no higher priority than protecting our nation and our people."

"The Department of State has immediately paused visa issuance for individuals travelling on Afghan passports," the agency said in a statement.

Rahmanullah Lakanwal, the 29-year-old suspected shooter, entered the United States in 2021 under the (Joe) Biden administration's Operation Allies Welcome program. He applied for asylum last year, and it was granted earlier this year, reports Xinhua news agency.

Lakanwal was "clean on all checks" before working with the CIA in his home country and again before coming to the United States, local media reported.

The FBI is now investigating the shooting as an act of terrorism.

Lakanwal had previously served alongside US forces in Afghanistan.

According to NBC News, the suspect, identified as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal, arrived in the United States in September 2021 after spending a decade in the Afghan army, where he supported US Special Forces.

He has been living in Washington state, NBC News reported, citing senior law enforcement sources.

Fox News reported that the suspect worked with various US government entities while in Afghanistan, including the Central Intelligence Agency, as a member of a partner force.

The attack took place at around 14:15 local time (1915 GMT) near the Farragut Square Metro Station, said a statement from Joint Task Force DC, which oversees the National Guard deployments to Washington. The suspect was shot by another Guard member and taken into custody, officials said.

Authorities are still working to confirm all details about the individual, who is currently hospitalised.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

BusinessIndia on path to becoming global industrial superpower: Report

MumbaiMumbai: Wanted Accused Arrested for Duping Couple of ₹30 Lakh on Promise of Cheap SRA Flat in Andheri

BusinessMost Cold Emails Die Before Anyone Reads Them And the Reason Isn't Bad Writing

NationalDRDO employee posted in Bengaluru found hanging from tree in Jharkhand's Ramgarh

Politics"Remained busy with elections, now begging America for cheaper Russian oil": Mallikarjun Kharge slams PM Modi over fresh fuel price hike

International Realted Stories

InternationalPaksitan falters to meet IMF conditions, provinces asked to raise PKR 400 billion in taxes

InternationalUN calls for 'no constraint' on Strait of Hormuz access amid Iran's new maritime authority

InternationalPak heads for civil-military showdown over Asim Munir’s massive Defence demands

InternationalRights body condemns attack on shrine in Bangladesh, warns of rising extremism

International23-year-old councillor becomes youngest Indian-origin Mayor in UK