City
Epaper

US military conducts fresh airstrikes on Yemen's Saada province

By IANS | Updated: March 24, 2025 06:11 IST

Sanaa, March 24 The US military stationed in the Red Sea conducted fresh airstrikes on Yemen's northern province ...

Open in App

Sanaa, March 24 The US military stationed in the Red Sea conducted fresh airstrikes on Yemen's northern province of Saada, media reported.

The strikes targeted the areas around the province's namesake central city Saada, a stronghold of the Houthis, the Houthi-run al-Masirah TV said on Sunday evening without providing further details.

The airstrikes came a few hours after the Houthis claimed to have launched fresh attacks on the USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier in the northern Red Sea and the Ben Gurion airport in central Israel, with the latter attack reportedly intercepted by the Israeli army, Xinhua news agency reported.

Earlier on Sunday, the US military launched a series of airstrikes on Houthi-held areas, including the airport in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, according to Houthi television. There were no reports of casualties.

The exchanges of fire took place amid an ongoing air campaign launched by US forces in mid-March against Houthi-controlled territories in Yemen.

The Houthi group, which controls much of northern Yemen after a civil war since 2014, has vowed to continue striking Israeli targets in solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza and to respond to what it describes as "American aggression".

Saada province serves as the main stronghold of the Houthi group. The latest strikes mark the seventh consecutive day of US attacks on Houthi-controlled areas in northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa.

Earlier on Friday, US forces launched six airstrikes on Al-Fazah, a coastal area in At-Tuhayta district, south of the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, according to al-Masirah TV. No casualties have been reported.

The Houthis have controlled much of northern Yemen, including Sanaa, since the country’s civil war erupted in 2014.

The tension between the Houthis and the US military escalated as the US launched new airstrikes on Yemen on March 15 after the Houthi group threatened to resume attacks on Israeli targets until humanitarian aid is allowed into Gaza.

--IANS

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalAfter seven failed attempts, US Senate passes resolution to limit President Trump's war powers in Iran

NationalJ-K: Excessive heat in May affects hybrid flowers in Udhampur's Jakhani Park

NationalSuvendu Adhikari PA murder case: CBI arrests fifth accused in UP's Varanasi

CricketI know I can hit three boundaries or sixes anytime: Vaibhav Sooryavanshi

EntertainmentDragon glimpse out: Jr NTR goes on a killing spree in land of villains of Prashanth Neel's directorial

International Realted Stories

International42 US aircraft lost or damaged during Operation Epic Fury against Iran, says Congressional report

InternationalPM Modi shares heartfelt moments with Indian diaspora upon arrival in Rome, witnesses cultural, classical performances

InternationalIranians realise Nuclear weapons a "red line" for US; we are negotiating in good faith: VP JD Vance

InternationalNordic nations condemn Pahalgam, Red Fort terror attacks at Oslo Summit; vow stronger anti-terror cooperation in joint statement with India

InternationalIndia, Nordic nations stress on WTO's central role, maritime security cooperation at Oslo Summit