City
Epaper

US tightens line on Iran as talks continue

By IANS | Updated: January 13, 2026 06:45 IST

Washington, Jan 13 The White House said Monday that President Donald Trump is pursuing diplomatic engagement with Iran ...

Open in App

Washington, Jan 13 The White House said Monday that President Donald Trump is pursuing diplomatic engagement with Iran while keeping military options firmly on the table, as protests continue inside the country and back-channel communications signal a different tone from Tehran.

White House Press Secretary Caroline Leavitt said the President’s objective remains focused on preventing further violence while assessing private outreach from Iranian officials.

“He certainly doesn't want to see people being killed in the streets of Tehran, and unfortunately, that's something we're seeing right now,” Leavitt told reporters during a gaggle at the White House.

Asked whether the administration is still seeking complete denuclearization, Leavitt did not outline specific terms but stressed the President’s flexibility and readiness to escalate if necessary.

“One thing President Trump is very good at is always keeping all of his options on the table, and airstrikes would be one of the many, many options that are on the table for the Commander in Chief,” she said.

At the same time, she emphasized diplomacy remains the administration’s first approach.

“Diplomacy is always the first option for the President,” Leavitt said, adding that messages being received privately from Iran differ from what the regime is saying publicly.

“What you're hearing publicly from the Iranian regime is quite differently from the messages the administration is receiving privately, and I think the President has an interest in exploring those messages,” she said.

Leavitt said Special Envoy Steve Witkoff continues to play a central role in Iran diplomacy.

“I understand that Steve Witkoff will continue to be a very important player in diplomacy with respect to Iran,” she said.

She also underscored that Tehran is aware of the President’s past actions and willingness to act decisively.

“However, with that said, the President has shown he's unafraid to use military options if and when he deems necessary, and nobody knows that better than Iranians,” Leavitt said.

The comments come amid heightened tensions following unrest in Iran and renewed scrutiny of US strategy toward the Islamic Republic.

Earlier in the day, Trump met the Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the White House.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalPM Modi holds bilateral meeting with Finland counterpart Orpo ahead of 3rd India-Nordic Summit

Entertainment'Hello Kitty' movie gets 'Moana 2' directors, sets July 2028 release date

EntertainmentDuffer Brothers reveal Billy Crudup was original choice for Hopper in 'Stranger Things'

BusinessNukleus Office Solutions Reports Strong FY26 Results with Total Income at ₹3,619 Lakh; EBITDA Jumps 38.12 Percent YoY

NationalTVK govt rules out shift from Tamil Nadu’s two-language formula

International Realted Stories

InternationalNorwegian FM terms PM Modi's visit 'very fruitful', calls India 'important partner'

International"Delighted to be visiting Beijing, confident to deepen partnership": Putin ahead of China visit

InternationalRights body flags rising enforced disappearances, extrajudicial killings in Balochistan

InternationalPM Modi holds bilateral meeting with Iceland's PM Frostadottir ahead of India-Nordic Summit

InternationalAnimal rights groups allege illegal stray dog killings in Lahore despite court-approved TNVR Policy