City
Epaper

Weeks, not years: Trump says Iran Op faster, more effective than past US wars

By IANS | Updated: April 2, 2026 07:55 IST

Washington, April 2 President Donald Trump compared the ongoing US military campaign against Iran with past American wars, ...

Open in App

Washington, April 2 President Donald Trump compared the ongoing US military campaign against Iran with past American wars, arguing that the current operation had achieved results in weeks that earlier conflicts took years to deliver.

In his address to the nation on Wednesday night (local time), Trump said the operation against Iran had lasted just over a month but had already neutralised what he described as a major threat.

“We are in this military operation… for 32 days, and the country has been eviscerated and essentially is really no longer a threat,” he said.

He contrasted this with the duration of previous US wars to underline the speed and intensity of the campaign.

“American involvement in World War I lasted one year, seven months and five days. World War II lasted for three years, eight months and 25 days,” Trump said.

He added: “The Korean War lasted for three years, one month and two days. The Vietnam War lasted for 19 years, five months and 29 days.”

Trump also cited more recent conflicts. “Iraq went on for eight years, eight months and 28 days,” he said, contrasting them with the current timeline.

Framing the Iran operation as unusually swift, he said the US military had delivered results at a pace rarely seen in modern warfare.

“Never in the history of warfare has an enemy suffered such clear and devastating, large-scale losses in a matter of weeks,” Trump said.

He argued that the short duration of the conflict reflected both military strength and strategic clarity. “We are on the cusp of ending Iran's sinister threat to America and the world,” he said.

Trump said the operation was aimed at dismantling Iran’s military capabilities and preventing it from acquiring nuclear weapons, a goal he has repeatedly emphasised.

“I have vowed that I would never allow Iran to have a nuclear weapon,” he said, calling the regime a long-term threat to US and global security.

He also signalled that the campaign was nearing its final phase, with key objectives close to completion and further actions planned if necessary.

At the same time, Trump stressed that the operation was limited in duration and scope compared to prolonged US engagements in the past.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

BusinessNifty likely to touch 29,000 by FY27-end despite global uncertainties: Report

NationalUnion Minister Joshi enquires about Andhra Deputy CM Pawan Kalyan’s health

NationalNalanda University awards degrees to 219 students from 14 nations at third convocation ceremony

NationalUnion Minister Dharmendra Pradhan chairs high-level review meeting on re-NEET preparations; directs foolproof conduct under strict security protocols

InternationalIndia and Nordic nations will work together to strengthen rules-based global order: PM Modi

International Realted Stories

InternationalPM Modi hails "growing depth and dynamism" of ties at 3rd India-Nordic Summit

InternationalCurious case of rising demands for eggs with broken shell in parts of Bangladesh: Media report

InternationalHoly relic exposition in Ladakh highlights India’s soft power push: Report

InternationalHRW urges China to reveal whereabouts of 11th Panchen Lama missing for 30 years

InternationalHow India kept power supply flowing to support Bangladesh despite hostile new regime