City
Epaper

Will not back off Syria Mission despite deadly attacks: US

By ANI | Updated: March 28, 2023 11:15 IST

Washington [Us], March 28 : The United States will not back away from its nearly eight-year deployment to Syria, ...

Open in App

Washington [Us], March 28 : The United States will not back away from its nearly eight-year deployment to Syria, where it is battling the remnants of Islamic State, despite attacks on US forces there last week by an Iran-backed militia, the White House said on Monday, Voice Of America (VOA) reported.

A one-way attack drone struck a US base in Syria on March 23, killing an American contractor, injuring another and wounding five US troops.

That triggered US retaliatory air strikes and exchanges of fire that a Syrian war monitoring group said killed three Syrian troops, 11 Syrian fighters in pro-government militias and five non-Syrian fighters who were aligned with the government, VOA reported.

White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said he was not aware of any additional attacks over the past 36 hours but cautioned, "We're going to stay vigilant."

Kirby also referred to President Joe Biden's remarks on Friday, in which Biden warned Iran that the United States would act forcefully to protect Americans, VOA reported.

"There's been no change in the US footprint in Syria as a result of what happened the last few days," Kirby said, adding the mission against Islamic State would continue.

"We're not going to be deterred ... by these attacks from these militant groups."

Syria's Foreign Ministry on Sunday condemned US strikes, saying Washington had lied about what was targeted and pledging to "end the American occupation" of its territory, VOA reported.

Iran's Foreign Ministry also condemned the strikes, accusing US forces of targeting "civilian sites."

US forces first deployed into Syria during the Obama administration's campaign against Islamic State, partnering with a Kurdish-led group called the Syrian Democratic Forces. There are about 900 US troops in Syria, most of them in the east.

Prior to the latest spate of attacks, US troops in Syria had been attacked by Iran-backed groups about 78 times since the beginning of 2021, according to the US military, VOA reported.

Iran has been a major backer of Syrian President Bashar Assad during Syria's 12-year conflict.

Iran's proxy militias, including the Lebanese group Hezbollah and pro-Tehran Iraqi groups, hold sway in swathes of eastern, southern and northern Syria and in suburbs around the capital, Damascus.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Bashar al-AssadIslamic StateUnited StatesWhite HouseDamascusThe statesEuaFar-westSuaJohn kirbyUnited states state
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalMassive Bee Swarm Lands on White House, Appears as Black Dot; Video Goes Viral

InternationalTrump, National Security Team Review Iran Hormuz Proposal: White House

InternationalUS Announces First-Ever Global Philosophy Award Named After Babasaheb Ambedkar

OpinionsWhy so Much Uproar Over Pakistan?

InternationalWhite House Confirms Talks in Islamabad, VP Vance To Lead US Delegation

International Realted Stories

InternationalNordic nations condemn Pahalgam, Red Fort terror attacks at Oslo Summit; vow stronger anti-terror cooperation in joint statement with India

InternationalIndia, Nordic nations stress on WTO's central role, maritime security cooperation at Oslo Summit

InternationalInvestment from Nordic countries in India increased by nearly 200% in last decade: PM Modi

InternationalWill focus on strengthening cooperation between India and Italy: PM Modi upon arrival in Rome

InternationalUS Imposes Fresh Sanctions on Iran-Linked Exchange Firms, Oil Vessels Under ‘Economic Fury’