City
Epaper

Yemen govt hands over 26 bodies to Houthis as gesture of 'goodwill' ahead of talks

By IANS | Updated: December 6, 2025 06:55 IST

Sanaa, Dec 6 Yemen's government said it handed over 26 bodies of the Houthi group as a gesture ...

Open in App

Sanaa, Dec 6 Yemen's government said it handed over 26 bodies of the Houthi group as a gesture of "goodwill" ahead of the expected resumption of talks sponsored by the United Nations.

In the statement broadcast by state-run television, the government said on Friday, the bodies were handed over to a local mediator, under the supervision of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Xinhua news agency reported.

It said the bodies belong to Houthi members who had been killed recently in sporadic battles in the northeastern provinces of Marib and al-Jawf, east and northeast of the Houthi-held capital Sanaa.

The state-run Saba news agency reported that the remains were transferred after the Houthi side verified their identities through the mediator.

Yahya Kazman, head of the government's negotiation committee, said the unilateral step is intended to demonstrate goodwill in advancing the resolution of the issue of detainees, abductees, and those forcibly disappeared.

He noted that the move comes ahead of a new round of negotiations on the detainee issue, scheduled to be held in the coming days under the auspices of international partners.

The Houthis have yet to comment.

Last week, UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said he participated in a mediation meeting in Muscat, hosted by Oman, suggesting that peace talks between the Yemeni warring parties would be resumed soon.

The Yemeni government and the Houthi group carried out a major UN-mediated prisoner exchange in 2023, involving the release of around 900 detainees. An earlier large-scale swap took place in 2020, during which roughly 1,000 prisoners were freed by both sides.

Yemen has been engulfed in civil conflict since late 2014, when the Houthi group seized control of large parts of the country, including the capital Sanaa, prompting the internationally recognized government to relocate.

Frontline clashes have significantly declined since April 2022 following the announcement of a UN-mediated truce, though the broader political settlement remains unresolved.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIran warns US, Israel against repeated aggression, says 'will open new fronts with new tools, methods'

BusinessOne Year of Bellance: From Vision to Three Operational Outlets, with London Debut Headlining a 12-Salon Roadmap for 2026

BusinessBPTP Hosts MediaTek at Capital City, leases 1.04 Lakh Sq. Ft. Space for Rs.144 Crore Total Rent 10 years, Signalling Demand for High-Quality Workspace

BusinessWav.Tech Launches WAV Mobile to Help Consumers and Dealers Address Rising Counterfeit Watch Risks

BusinessPiyush Goyal, Rammohan Naidu discuss key areas of collaboration to boost trade-linked connectivity

International Realted Stories

InternationalDefence Minister Rajnath Singh arrives in South Korea on second leg of two-nation visit

InternationalPM Modi, Finnish counterpart hold talks on doubling trade by 2030, digital ties; announce joint hosting of World Circular Economy Forum in Sept

InternationalPM Modi, Iceland counterpart Frostadottir discuss strengthening cooperation in clean energy, fisheries

InternationalIndia and Finland to work together in futuristic sectors, deepen linkages in climate change: PM Modi

InternationalPM Modi expected to visit New Zealand in July, Kiwi media reports