City
Epaper

Coronavirus: Trump announces formation of Task Force

By IANS | Updated: January 31, 2020 11:10 IST

US President Donald Trump has announced the formation of a Task Force to lead the government's response to the novel coronavirus outbreak, which has so far killed 213 people in China, and with keeping him apprised of developments, a White House statement said.

Open in App

The statement issued on Wednesday said the Task Force was being led by Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar, and coordinated through the National Security Council.

"It is composed of subject matter experts from the White House and several US government agencies, and it includes some of the nation's foremost experts on infectious diseases," the statement said.

The Task Force will lead the Trump's administration's "efforts to monitor, contain, and mitigate the spread of the virus, while ensuring that the American people have the most accurate and up-to-date health and travel information".

"The risk of infection for Americans remains low, and all agencies were working aggressively to monitor this continuously evolving situation and to keep the public informed," the White House statement added.

On Thursday, the US government raised its China travel alert to the maximum "Level 4: Do Not Travel", a category reserved for the situations it considers most dangerous, such as major crises or armed conflicts, reports Efe news.

The US, which already has five confirmed cases, also announced the first instance in the country of a person-to-person transmission of the coronavirus, hence raising the total number of patients to six.

As of Friday morning, China's National Health Commission confirmed 213 deaths in China due to the coronavirus, with a total of 9,692 infected persons.

Outside of China, Macau, Hong Kong and Taiwan, other countries with confirmed cases include Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, South Korea, the US, France, Germany, the United Arab Emirates, Canada, Italy, Vietnam, Cambodia, Finland, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and the Philippines.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: uschinaNational Security CouncilTask Force
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake in China: Quake of Magnitude 6.0 Hits East China Sea

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

InternationalChina Miracle: Man Survives After Heart Stops Beating for 40 Hours Using This Technology

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

National Realted Stories

NationalUnder HM Amit Shah, Naxal-affected regions now moving towards development: BJP leader

NationalFiling complaint would have strained relations: Family of Gwalior woman chose 'peace' over police

NationalOnion farmers will make you cry tomorrow: Shiv Sen(UBT) in 'Saamana'

NationalKarnataka: Woman dies by suicide over alleged harassment by husband, mother-in-law in Ballari; two arrested

NationalBengal govt sends panel of three IAS officers to ECI for new CEO appointment