City
Epaper

Death toll in massive fire in Kolkata warehouse rises to 7 (2nd lead)

By IANS | Updated: January 26, 2026 21:20 IST

Kolkata, Jan 26 The death toll in a massive fire at a warehouse in the Anandapur area on ...

Open in App

Kolkata, Jan 26 The death toll in a massive fire at a warehouse in the Anandapur area on the southern outskirts of Kolkata rose to seven on Monday, a state police official has confirmed.

At the same time, missing diaries have reported about 20 persons who were there at the warehouse when the fire broke out early Monday morning. However, the police have yet to reveal the identities of the seven charred bodies recovered from inside the warehouse.

State police insiders said that bodies had been charred in such a manner that it was difficult to visually identify them. At the time the report was filed, the fire was under control.

However, state fire services department officials suspect that there might be hidden fire pockets within the warehouse. The fire officers and firemen are currently attempting to identify those hidden fire-pockets and extinguish them completely.

At the same time, the cooling process had also started.

The warehouse in Nazirabad in Anandapur primarily stored dry, packaged food items and bottles of soft drinks.

State Power Minister Aroop Biswas visited the scene and consoled the families of the deceased. He inspected the rescue operation and spoke with the families of the missing individuals.

Till Monday evening, it is still unclear how the fire started in the warehouse. The employees on night duty were trapped inside, and it was learnt that six people working as security guards at the warehouse were also trapped. Locals alleged that the warehouse was locked from the outside, which is why the people inside could not come out.

There was a residential building behind this factory. Approximately 100 residents were there. Everyone has been rescued. But those who were inside the warehouse could not be rescued. Their phones are also switched off.

The state's Fire Minister Sujit Bose said, "I received the news at 3 a.m. There are two warehouses in that area. One belongs to a well-known momo company. The other belongs to a catering company. The fire department is working. Everything is being monitored."

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

EntertainmentShaan shares trivia of Kishore Kumar's iconic 'Mere Samne Wali Khidki' from Padosan

InternationalBangladesh's Junior Minister discusses trade, energy and defence with US official

InternationalUS-India ties at ‘inflection point’: American lawmakers

InternationalUS Mosque Shooting: Three Killed After Teenage Gunmen Open Fire At Islamic Center Of San Diego; Anti-Islam Writings Found

InternationalUS tightens curbs after American citizen tests positive for Ebola

National Realted Stories

NationalHM Amit Shah to chair 26th Central Zone Council meeting in Bastar today

NationalUttarakhand: 3 coaches of Ujjain Express derail near Yog Nagari station in Rishikesh; Inquiry ordered

NationalIndia targeting 100 GW nuclear capacity by 2047: BJP MP Shringla on US Executive Nuclear Mission to India

National"Can proudly say India has become free from Naxalism": Amit Shah meets CAPFs personnel, victims of naxal violence in Chhattisgarh

NationalSuspicion cannot justify taking law into own hands: Congress' Sama Ram Mohan Reddy on altercation over alleged illegal cow transport