City
Epaper

ECI deletes 2.16 lakh bogus voters in Maharashtra

By IANS | Updated: September 18, 2019 20:10 IST

The Election Commission of India (ECI) has deleted 2.16 lakh bogus voters in Maharashtra and the process is on to strike off more such fake names, the state Congress was informed here on Wednesday.

Open in App

Ahead of the upcoming state assembly polls, the Maharashtra Congress submitted a list of 44.61 alleged fake voters in the state and reiterated its demand to conduct the elections on ballot papers instead of electronic voting machines (EVMs).

"The EC has told us that while 2.16 lakh fake names of voters have already been deleted, the process is underway to cancel the rest," state Congress general secretary Rajesh Sharma said.

A delegation led by Sharma and the party's Legal Cell's official Adv. Gauri Chhabria called on the CEC Sunil Arora, Election Commissioner Ashok Lavasa and Sunil Chandra to put forth their demands prior to the elections.

The CEC delegation is in Mumbai to review the pre-election preparedness and met various stakeholders including the state elections officials, police and civil officers, representatives of all political parties to understand their issues, problems and demands.

After the CEC's assurance, Sharma and Chhabria said the names of all the remaining bogus voters, which the party had highlighted earlier this year, should be deleted from the electoral rolls on priority and that EVMs should be replaced with the traditional ballot paper voting.

"Last February, before the Lok Sabha elections, the Congress had submitted the list to the EC, but to date, all the fake voters' names have not been knocked off the rolls", Sharma told mediapersons later.

He pointed out that there should be no further delay on the part of the EC in this serious matter as it can help ensure free, fair and transparent elections.

The Shiv Sena and Nationalist Congress Party also sought a hike in the election expenditure limits, while the NCP urged for a return to ballot paper voting, said national spokesperson Nawab Malik.

Sharma and Malik reiterated that the voters have lost faith in the EVMs and all the opposition political parties have been demanding the use of ballot papers in the state assembly elections.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: ecRajesh SharmacongressNawab Malik
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalSriprakash Jaiswal Dies at 81: Former Union Minister and Congress Leader Passes Away

MaharashtraSanjay Raut Says Sena–MNS Already Together No Need Others Permission

MumbaiBandra Fort Party Controversy: Viral Video Sparks Political Row as Sena UBT, Congress Question Alcohol Event at Heritage Site; CM Fadnavis Reacts (Watch)

NationalTarn Taran Assembly By-Election 2025: 23.05% Voter Turnout Recorded Till 11 AM in Punjab By-Poll

MaharashtraSatara Doctor Suicide: Youth Congress Protesters Detained at Mumbai’s Marine Drive (Watch video)

National Realted Stories

NationalShivraj Chouhan to throw open Aajeevika Food Festival 2025 in Delhi tomorrow

NationalTamil Nadu Road Accident: Seven Killed After Two Buses Collide Head-On Near Tirupattur

NationalTrinamool accuses ECI of 'helping' BJP by extending SIR deadline

NationalRaise voice against conversion, love jihad and drugs: CM Yogi calls for guarding Sanatan values

NationalCyclone Ditwah Update: Storm 80 km Off Tamil Nadu–Puducherry Coastline, Heavy Rains Lash Districts