City
Epaper

Feud between IndiGo promoters turns into full-blown war

By IANS | Updated: July 9, 2019 21:45 IST

The crisis at the country's largest private carrier IndiGo seems to be deepening with the dispute between the promoters of the airline turning ugly.

Open in App

The differences had been earlier been presumed to be a minor one by many industry experts but it now transpires that it has snowballed into a full-blown war.

Airline co-promoter and former US Airways Chief Executive and Chairman Rakesh Gangwal, who has so far remained behind the scenes, has come on record to lodge his grievances against various issues pertaining to IndiGo. So much so that, he has sought regulatory intervention from market regulator Sebi to resolve the issues.

The developments have left investors wary. The airline stock fell 0.29 per cent to Rs 1,565.75 a piece on Tuesday on the BSE.

Gangwal, along with his affiliates, hold 37 per cent stake in IndiGo while the other co-promoter Rahul Bhatia has 38 per cent equity stake.

In his letter to Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) Chairman Ajay Tyagi and other top officials, Gangwal has said that IndiGo was built on the foundation of uncompromising values and principles but it has started veering off from the core principles and values of governance that made IndiGo what it is today.

He has raised serious objections to related party transactions in the company, stating that various fundamental governance norms and laws are not being adhered to. He has warned that this will lead to unfortunate outcomes, should effective measures not be taken.

Sebi has sought a response from budget passenger carrier IndiGo on the alleged grievances raised by Gangwal.

According to IndiGo's regulatory filing: "... we inform you that the Board of Directors of lnterGlobe Aviation Limited has received a letter dated July 8, 2019 from Rakesh Gangwal, the copy of which is already with the Stock Exchanges, informing the company that he has written a letter to SEBI seeking regulatory intervention on his alleged grievances".

"SEBI has in the meantime asked the company to give its response to this letter by July 19, 2019, with which the company will comply," the regulatory filing made to the BSE said.

( With inputs from IANS )

Open in App

Related Stories

Politics"Great Nicobar Island Project part of sprawling Modani business empire": Jairam Ramesh

NationalWeather department issues severe three-day heatwave alert for parts of Maharashtra; temperatures in Vidarbha cross 46 degrees Celsius

EntertainmentShahid Kapoor's sister Sanah Kapoor gives glimpse of SIL Mira Rajput turning hairdresser for Supriya Pathak

NationalFrom red bastion to Cong-led treasury bench, Sudhakaran becomes Kerala Pro-tem Speaker

FootballEFL expels Southampton from Championship play-off final over "unauthorised filming" on multiple opponents

National Realted Stories

NationalTamil Nadu Class 10 pass percentage reaches 94.31%; girls outperform boys, says TN Education Minister Rajmohan

NationalMinister Against Minorities: Owaisi slams Kiren Rijiju over Muslim minority comments; alleges "planned agenda" against community

NationalUnder HM Amit Shah, Naxal-affected regions now moving towards development: BJP leader

NationalFiling complaint would have strained relations: Family of Gwalior woman chose 'peace' over police

NationalOnion farmers will make you cry tomorrow: Shiv Sen(UBT) in 'Saamana'