City
Epaper

India, US to hold trade talks on Tuesday, Trump-Modi friendship is real: America's envoy

By IANS | Updated: January 12, 2026 13:50 IST

New Delhi, Jan 12 India and the US continue to be actively engaged in trade talks and the ...

Open in App

New Delhi, Jan 12 India and the US continue to be actively engaged in trade talks and the next meeting between the negotiators of the two countries is scheduled for Tuesday, America’s newly-appointed Ambassador to New Delhi, Sergio Gor, said on Monday.

Addressing staffers and journalists as he took charge of the US Embassy here, Gor said that US President Donald Trump conveyed “his best wishes to his friend Prime Minister Narendra Modi.”

“The friendship between Trump and PM Modi is real and the US and India are bound not just by shared interests, but by a relationship anchored at the highest levels. Real friends can disagree, but always resolve their differences in the end,” Gor remarked.

He also stated that while trade is very important for the India-US ties, the two countries will continue to work closely together on other very important areas, such as security, counter-terrorism, energy, technology, education, and health.

He emphasised that both sides remain in regular contact despite differences over tariffs and market access.

Gor also announced that India will be invited to join 'PaxSilica' as a full member next month. He explained that 'PaxSilica' is a new initiative that the United States launched just last month to build a secure, prosperous, and innovation-driven silicon supply chain from critical minerals and energy inputs to advanced manufacturing, semiconductors, AI development and logistics.

“Nations that joined last month include Japan, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and Israel. India’s inclusion would further strengthen the group,” he added.

Gor’s statement on the bilateral trade talks clears much of the confusion created by Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick’s comments that the India-US trade negotiations have stalled because PM Modi “didn’t call” President Trump.

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) rejected Lutnick’s statement, saying that “The characterisation of these discussions in the reported remarks is not accurate.”

“India remains interested in a mutually beneficial trade deal between two complementary economies and looks forward to concluding it,” MEA spokesman Randhir Jaiswal said.

Lutnick had said the trade deal failed after Trump did not receive a call from PM Modi on the issue, adding that Washington moved ahead with other agreements instead.

Jaiswal said, "We have seen the remarks. India and the United States were committed to negotiating a bilateral trade agreement with the US as far back as 13th of February last year. Since then, the two sides have held multiple rounds of negotiations to reach a balanced, mutually beneficial trade agreement.”

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalPM Modi holds delegation-level meeting with Italian President Sergio Mattarella

Other Sports'Test cricket punishes every mistake you make,' says Masood after series loss to Bangladesh

Cricket"That's Vaibhav's best innings": RR skipper Riyan Parag hails Sooryavanshi's maturity

PoliticsG Parameshwara responds to criticism of "Pragathiyatta Karnataka" convention, clarifies district proposal

Other SportsKKR have a real shot at the playoffs; must not take MI lightly: Kumble

National Realted Stories

NationalPunjab chemists threaten mass shutdown over online pharmacies, spurious drugs

NationalSecurity forces launch search op after recovering suspected material in Jammu's Bishnah

NationalUttar Pradesh Fire: Massive Blaze Breaks Out at Ghaziabad Auto Workshop, 3 Vehicles Damaged

NationalGujarat: JPC continues consultations on 'One Nation, One Election', engages with political leaders

NationalNCW takes suo motu cognisance of Twisha Sharma death, seeks impartial probe