City
Epaper

Jharkhand: Conspiracy to target security forces in Chaibasa foiled, 21 IEDs recovered

By IANS | Updated: January 21, 2025 18:05 IST

Chaibasa, Jan 21 A major Maoist plot to target security forces in Jharkhand’s West Singhbhum district has been ...

Open in App

Chaibasa, Jan 21 A major Maoist plot to target security forces in Jharkhand’s West Singhbhum district has been thwarted. In a joint operation by police and security forces, 21 pressure IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) planted in the Karaikela police station area were successfully recovered, officials said.

Of these, 12 IEDs were two kg each, while the remaining nine weighed one kg each. Their detonation could have caused massive destruction.

Acting on the directions of Chaibasa Superintendent of Police (SP) Ashutosh Shekhar, the bomb squad defused all the devices. Additionally, security forces dismantled a Maoist dump in Serengada village, discovering 55 gelatin sticks which were likely intended for explosive use.

The operation was launched following intelligence inputs about the presence of a Maoist squad in the Podahat area. A coordinated effort involving 14 battalions from Chaibasa Police, CRPF, Cobra, and Jharkhand Jaguar was launched across the region. Reports suggested IEDs were planted at multiple locations in the forest to target security forces, necessitating extreme caution during the mission.

Earlier, on January 12, six IEDs were recovered from the forested and hilly areas between Tumbahaka and Bagan Gulgulda in the Tonto police station area of West Singhbhum.

Top leaders of the banned CPI Maoist organisation, including Misir Besra, Anmol, Mochu, Anal, Asim Mandal, Ajay Mahato, Sagen Angaria, and Ashwin, are believed to be operating with their squads in the Kolhan forest area of Jharkhand.

Jharkhand Police, in collaboration with central security forces, has intensified operations as part of a decisive campaign to eliminate Maoist influence. The Central government has set an ambitious target to eradicate Maoism from the state by March 2026.

Earlier this month, a seven-year-old girl was killed in a bomb blast on January 7 inside the Radhabeda forest in the West Singhbhum district of Chaibasa. Police said the improvised explosive device (IED) had been earlier planted by Maoists.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalUS: Afghan national charged with making terrorist threat in Texas

International"Occasion to strengthen strategic partnership": Randhir Jaiswal welcomes Thai Minister to India

InternationalThailand Foreign Affairs Minister Sihasak Phuangketkeow kickstarts his first official visit to India

AurangabadIndia rapidly adopts AI but lags in resources, says Anand Mahurkar

InternationalIndian helicopters carry out rescue operations in Sri Lanka

National Realted Stories

NationalChhattisgarh: 'Drone Didi' Shanti Vishwakarma emerges as symbol of women empowerment

NationalOperation Sagar Bandhu: Indian NDRF teams assist rescue efforts in flood-hit Sri Lanka

NationalGoa Police blocked 767 scam-related numbers, took down 660 fraudulent digital platforms this year

NationalCPI-M Kerala MLA Kanathil Jameela dies at 59; CM Vijayan expresses grief

NationalCentre relaxes Protected Area Permit for Nagaland’s ‘Hornbill Festival’