City
Epaper

Karnataka may order CBI probe into snooping under Kumaraswamy govt

By IANS | Updated: August 18, 2019 16:25 IST

The Karnataka government plans to soon order a CBI inquiry into the alleged phone-tapping of BJP leaders and 2-3 senior state police officers during the previous JD-S-Congress coalition government, an official said on Sunday.

Open in App

"Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa has decided to hand over the case to the Central Bureau Of Investigation (CBI) to find out whose phones were tapped, when, why and who ordered it," an official told here.

There are allegations that during the last few months of his tenure, the H.D. Kumaraswamy government tapped mobile and landline phones of BJP's state leaders, disqualified rebel legislators of the Congress and Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) and three senior IPS officers.

IPS officers Bengaluru City Police Commissioner Bhaskar Rao, his predecessor and Additional Director-General Police (ADGP) of the Karnataka State Reserve Police (KSRP) Alok Kumar Singh and another ADGP of the state intelligence wing Kamal Pant were reportedly lobbying for Bengaluru city police commissioner's post during that period.

Kumaraswamy opted for Singh, who held the post for 47 days from June 17 to August 1, before Rao was appointed on August 2 and Pant was not considered for the job. Congress power broker Faraz Ahmed is alleged to have played a key role in getting Singh replaced with Rao for the post.

On August 14, Yediyurappa directed state Chief Secretary T.M. Vijaya Bhaskar to probe the case after an interim report by Joint Commissioner of Police (crime) Sandeep Patil revealed that Rao's conversations with Ahmed were tapped thrice between May and June.

After audio tapes containing voices of Rao, Faraz, senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel and others were leaked to a section of the local media, Kumaraswamy refuted that he ordered tapping of their phones.

"I will write to the CBI on Monday seeking a probe into the phone-tapping charge as demanded by the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader Siddaramaiah and his party's other leaders and members," Yediyurappa told repoters here.

Kumaraswamy resigned on July 23 after he lost the trust vote in the state legislative Assembly that he moved on July 18, as the 15 rebel lawmakers resigned before they were disqualified.

Disqualified JD-S rebel A.H. Vishwanath also accused Kumaraswamy of snooping.

Yediyurappa, 76, who became chief minister for the fourth time on July 26, is also the state home minister as he has not expanded his Cabinet so far.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: Bhaskar RaoH D Kumaraswamycbi
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiMumbai: Retired Merchant Navy Radio Engineer Duped of ₹1.68 Crore by Cyber Fraudsters Posing as CBI, ED Officials

NashikNEET UG Paper Leak 2026: Accused Bought Paper for Rs 10 Lakh, Sold It for Rs 15 Lakh

NEET UG 2026 Exam Postponed: NTA Cancelled Common Test; Govt Orders CBI Probe Into Paper Leaked Case

BusinessCBI Raids 17 Mumbai Locations Linked To Anil Ambani-Led Reliance Group

MumbaiMumbai Cyber Fraud: Scammers Impersonate ATS & NIA, Dupe Couple of ₹2.84 Crore

National Realted Stories

National"You are all my children": Arvind Kejriwal urges NEET aspirants to stay strong

NationalNEET 2026 paper leak: Whistleblower Suthar praises NTA, probe agencies for taking swift action

NationalFM Sitharaman urges top US nuclear firms to invest in India

NationalBihar CM reviews India-Nepal border security, pushes for strong surveillance

NationalWest Bengal raises upper age limit for recruitment in govt jobs by 5 years