City
Epaper

Orissa HC gives clean chit to BJD leader in Mahanga double murder case

By IANS | Updated: October 1, 2024 21:35 IST

Bhubaneswar, Oct 1 In a major development, the Orissa High Court on Tuesday gave a clean chit to ...

Open in App

Bhubaneswar, Oct 1 In a major development, the Orissa High Court on Tuesday gave a clean chit to senior Biju Janata Dal leader and former law minister Pratap Jena in the sensational Mahanga double murder case.

“The court said that the entire criminal proceedings against Pratap Jena was quashed. The order against which we have approached the high court has now been quashed,” said Jena’s lawyer Anshuman Ray.

Jena was the accused number 13 in the double murder case that took place at Mahanga in Cuttack district in 2021. The local police had excluded the name of Jena while filing the first charge sheet in the case.

Subsequently, the victim Kulamani Baral's son approached the Salipur JMFC court seeking the inclusion of Jena’s name.

The court on the basis of statements of the complainant, witnesses, and other available materials on record ordered that a prima facie case punishable for the offences under sections 302, 506, 120 B of the IPC is made against accused Jena on October 31, 2023.

The court directed the local police to reinvestigate the case against Jena.

Subsequently, the senior BJD leader moved the High Court against the lower court's order.

Hearing the petition filed by Jena, the Orissa High Court on Tuesday quashed the order of the Salipur JMFC court.

"The political conspiracy had been hatched to defame for the last two years has fallen flat and the high court gave a clean chit to me today," an elated Jena told on Tuesday.

Notably, BJP leader Kulamani Baral, who was the block chairman of Mahanga, and his associate Dibyasingha Baral were brutally murdered in Mahanga in 2021.

Later, the prime accused in the case, Prafulla Biswal, was found dead under mysterious circumstances near the Govindpur area in Tangi of Cuttack district

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalTrump pauses Iran strike amid diplomatic push by Gulf nations

InternationalVance links US factory revival to China challenge

InternationalUS sanctions 11 Cuban officials, agencies

InternationalUS races to contain Ebola outbreak

PoliticsWest Bengal police arrests TMC leader Abdul Kader Haque over allegations of post-poll physical assault, violence

National Realted Stories

NationalUttarakhand: 3 coaches of Ujjain Express derail near Yog Nagari station in Rishikesh; Inquiry ordered

NationalIndia targeting 100 GW nuclear capacity by 2047: BJP MP Shringla on US Executive Nuclear Mission to India

National"Can proudly say India has become free from Naxalism": Amit Shah meets CAPFs personnel, victims of naxal violence in Chhattisgarh

NationalSuspicion cannot justify taking law into own hands: Congress' Sama Ram Mohan Reddy on altercation over alleged illegal cow transport

NationalJ-K traffic police deploy speed radar guns on national highway to curb over speeding, boost safety