City
Epaper

Punjab extends deadline for one-time due settlement for traders

By IANS | Updated: January 1, 2026 16:55 IST

Chandigarh, Jan 1 In a major relief to the trading community and industry, the Punjab government has decided ...

Open in App

Chandigarh, Jan 1 In a major relief to the trading community and industry, the Punjab government has decided to extend the deadline for the Punjab One-Time Settlement (OTS) Scheme for Recovery of Outstanding Dues of 2025 until March 31.

State Finance Minister Harpal Cheema gave the formal approval for this extension following representations from various stakeholders, including the GST Practitioners Association (GSTPA) Punjab.

The decision comes in direct response to the participation seen so far, with the department recording 6,348 applications to date. The state government acknowledged that many taxpayers faced a heavy statutory compliance burden during the final months of 2025, which saw overlapping deadlines for various tax filings.

Furthermore, practical challenges such as the pending service of VAT assessment orders had made it difficult for many eligible businesses to accurately determine their liabilities before the original December deadline.

The OTS Scheme -- 2025, which initially launched on October 1, remains one of the state's most taxpayer-friendly initiatives. It is specifically aimed at reducing legacy litigation and unlocking revenue for the state by offering substantial relief.

Depending on the specific demand amount, taxpayers can avail themselves of up to a 100 per cent waiver on interest and penalties, alongside significant waivers on the principal tax amount.

Minister Cheema said that this extension would provide a golden chance for genuine taxpayers to settle long-pending disputes under the pre-GST Acts, including VAT and central sales tax, without procedural stress.

The Minister further added, “Our government is committed to fostering a pro-business environment.

He urged all eligible businesses and rice millers to utilise this final window to clear their arrears and start the new financial year with a clean slate.

“After the new deadline of March 31, the department will initiate strict recovery proceedings against defaulters who fail to opt for this settlement,” said Minister Cheema.

--IANS

vg/dan

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalDR Congo reports over 130 suspected Ebola deaths

HealthDR Congo reports over 130 suspected Ebola deaths

BusinessDredging Corporation of India scripts history with highest ever annual turnover in FY 2025-26.

NationalNEET paper leak probe expands to Nagpur, CBI grills three candidates from Vidarbha

NationalDelhi: NDMC chief takes Metro to office, asks staff to adopt green mobility

National Realted Stories

NationalCentre-State coordination drives OBC welfare schemes: Maha CM

NationalSIT, local teams deployed to nab accused in Twisha Sharma death case: Madhya Pradesh police

NationalTripura: Four arrested, three security personnel suspended in viral cash video case

NationalCM Rekha Gupta announces special collection centres for respectful recycling of damaged idols in Delhi

NationalPunjab: Singer’s body found in canal; family blames Canada-based man