City
Epaper

SC halts DDA's demolition drive at Vishwas Nagar for 7 days

By IANS | Updated: May 22, 2023 17:30 IST

New Delhi, May 22 The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to put on ...

Open in App

New Delhi, May 22 The Supreme Court on Monday directed the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to put on hold, for a week, the demolition drive in Vishwas Nagar on humanitarian grounds and allow residents, mostly slum dwellers, to leave on their own.

A vacation bench of Justices Aniruddha Bose and Sanjay Karol said the court did not find any fault with the single and division benches of the Delhi High Court allowing DDA to remove the encroachments. "So far as the right of petitioners to reside at the dwelling place is concerned, we do not wish to interfere with the order passed by the Delhi High Court," it said.

Citing humanitarian grounds, the bench said it is inclined to grant seven days to vacate the premises and if people fail to vacate by May 29, it will be open for DDA to resume the demolition activities.

The bench issued notice to the DDA, represented by lawyer Sunieta Ojha, and said the court will examine in July's second week, whether residents, who would be removed from their dwelling units, are entitled for rehabilitation either under the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board Act or any other law.

The bench was informed that the demolition activity had started at 8 a.m. on Monday and the high court, on March 14, had dismissed a petition of the residents and ordered demolition after considering all their claims. Ojha contended that the same claims were now being revived after two months.

The top court's order came on a petition filed by some residents of the Kasturba Nagar area falling under Vishwas Nagar locality of east Delhi.

During the hearing, the residents pressed that they were seeking rehabilitation before being removed and highlighted valid identity documents possessed by them and also, they have been residing at the place for 40 years.

The petitioners' contended that their colony has not been categorised as a registered slum due, as a result of which the authorities declined to consider their rehabilitation.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Delhi Development AuthoritySanjay KarolSunieta ojhaUs Supreme CourtJudge Of The Supreme CourtSupreme CourtThe Supreme CourtBench Of The Supreme CourtUnited States Supreme CourtMaldives Supreme CourtWay Supreme CourtRetired Supreme CourtSupreme Court Justice
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalHarish Rana Case: SC Praises Family’s Organ Donation Decision After Granting Passive Euthanasia

NationalCrop Ruined by Parrots is 'Damage by Wild Animals', says HC; Gives Relief

NationalWho Is Harish Rana? Man in Coma for 12 Years Gets Right to Die After Supreme Court Order

InternationalDonald Trump Signs Order Imposing 10% Tariffs on All Countries After US Supreme Court Ruling; How Much Tariff Will India Pay Now?

MumbaiMumbai: Retired Bank Manager, Family Held in ‘Digital Arrest’ for 35 Days; ₹1.83 Crore Lost to Cyber Fraud in Mulund

National Realted Stories

NationalRajasthan begins talent identification drive for 2028 Olympic Games

NationalGujarat: GSRTC launches new Volvo service on Delhi-Mumbai expressway, revises Ahmedabad-Bhavnagar route

NationalPM Modi attends India-Norway Business and Research Summit, calls for achieving investment target of USD 100 billion under TEPA

NationalBengal: ED arrests Sona Pappu in financial fraud, extortion case​

NationalCM Himanta Biswa Sarma inaugurates Assam Cricket Museum in Guwahati