City
Epaper

SC strikes down Maratha community reservation for exceeding 50 pc cap

By ANI | Updated: May 5, 2021 16:35 IST

The Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for the Maratha community brought in by the Maharashtra government in 2018, saying it exceeded the 50 per cent cap imposed earlier.

Open in App

The Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down the reservation in government jobs and educational institutions for the Maratha community brought in by the Maharashtra government in 2018, saying it exceeded the 50 per cent cap imposed earlier.

A five-judge Constitution Bench comprising Justices Ashok Bhushan, L Nageswara Rao, S Abdul Nazeer, Hemant Gupta and Ravindra Bhat in its judgment said that that people from the Maratha community cannot be declared as educationally and socially backward community to bring them within the reserved category.

Justice Bhushan said, "With respect to Article 342 A, we have upheld the Constitutional Amendment and it does not violate any Constitutional provision and therefore, we have dismissed the writ petition challenging the Maratha Reservation."

The Supreme Court in its judgment said that there was no valid ground to breach 50 per cent reservation while granting Maratha reservation.

The bench was hearing appeals challenging the Bombay High Court order that upheld reservations to Marathas in jobs and education under Maharashtra Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Act, 2018.

The High Court, while upholding the Maratha quota, held that 16 per cent reservation is not justifiable and ruled that reservation should not exceed 12 per cent in employment and 13 per cent in education as recommended by the State Backward Commission.

The Bombay High Court on June 27, 2019, had said the 50 per cent cap on total reservations imposed by the Supreme Court could be exceeded in exceptional circumstances.

The apex court had reserved its verdict last month.

( With inputs from ANI )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Bombay High CourtSupreme CourtRavindra BhatHemant guptaJustice of bombay high courtBombay high
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalHarish Rana Case: SC Praises Family’s Organ Donation Decision After Granting Passive Euthanasia

MumbaiMumbai Teen Died In 2009 Train Accident, Family Awarded Rs 8 Lakh Compensation In 2026

NationalCrop Ruined by Parrots is 'Damage by Wild Animals', says HC; Gives Relief

MumbaiBombay High Court Orders ₹50,000 Compensation Each for Lawyer, Ex-Serviceman Over Police Misconduct

MumbaiLadki Bahin Yojana: Stop Scheme If No Funds for Pension, Says Bombay HC

National Realted Stories

NationalKerala launches statewide dental network for early oral cancer detection

NationalRajasthan ACB arrest cop in Udaipur for accepting Rs 1 lakh bribe

NationalRajasthan MLA pours petrol on self during protest march in Barmer

NationalSuvendu Adhikari aide murder case: CBI arrest fifth accused from UP's Varanasi

NationalGarbage piles up in Shimla amid peak tourist season as SEHB sanitaion workers strike enters 5th day: Mayor appeals workers to call off strike