City
Epaper

Two petitions filed at Calcutta HC in Durgapur gang-rape case

By IANS | Updated: October 14, 2025 14:35 IST

Kolkata, Oct 14 Two parallel petitions have been filed at Calcutta High Court on Tuesday in the gang-rape ...

Open in App

Kolkata, Oct 14 Two parallel petitions have been filed at Calcutta High Court on Tuesday in the gang-rape case of a tribal medical student in Durgapur of West Bengal's West Burdwan district.

On one hand, the West Bengal unit of the BJP has filed a petition to carry out its protest demonstration near the private medical college till October 19. On the other hand, the authorities of the said private medical college have approached the Calcutta High Court seeking the removal of gatherings of people in front of the college premises, considering that the examinations are being conducted there.

Both the petitions have been filed at the single-judge bench of Justice Shampa Dutt (Paul). The matter is likely to come up for hearing in the second half in the later part of the day.

Altogether five people have been arrested in connection with the gang-rape of the Dalit medical student. The confidential statement of the victim is scheduled to be recorded in front of a judicial magistrate later in the day.

The victim's parents have already claimed they will take their daughter back to Odisha soon after her confidential statements are recorded.

On Monday, Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi spoke to the victim girl, who is still admitted at the hospital. Even the victim expressed a desire to go back to her native state and continue with her medical studies there.

The Odisha Chief Minister had already claimed that his government will take all the steps to ensure the culprits in the case are given due punishment.

Recently, the Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee attracted criticisms after she advised women not to go outside at night amid the Durgapur incident. The Chief Minister also created controversy, claiming that the woman stepped out of the college premises at 12.30 a.m.

Her statement was contradicted by the college authorities claiming that they left the premises at around 8 p.m. on October 10 after signing the register and taking permission.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalPakistan: Security forces kill 3 TTP militants after attacker blows himself up in Balochistan

InternationalHondurans to decide whether to go from Left to Right as polling begins

International"Biden, Harris screwed our country," says Trump as US admin enhances vetting measures for immigrants

InternationalHomeland Security holds Biden administration responsible for killing of Sarah Beckstrom

CricketBCCI president Manhas hails Team India for win over South Africa at Ranchi

National Realted Stories

NationalPM Modi, Rahul, Kharge to be invited to Telangana Rising Global Summit

NationalAssam to inaugurate martyrs' memorial in December

NationalDigital push, NEP bringing out a more creative, research-driven youth: Arunachal Guv

National13 Bangladeshi fishermen taken into custody at Andhra Pradesh coast

NationalArunachal Guv discusses eastern border security with senior Army officers