City
Epaper

Unnao rape case: SC to hear CBI's plea against Sengar's sentence suspension today

By IANS | Updated: December 29, 2025 07:35 IST

New Delhi, Dec 29 A 3-judge Bench of the Supreme Court will on Monday hear the Central Bureau ...

Open in App

New Delhi, Dec 29 A 3-judge Bench of the Supreme Court will on Monday hear the Central Bureau of Investigation’s (CBI) plea against the Delhi High Court order that suspended the life sentence and granted bail to expelled Bharatiya Janata Party leader Kuldeep Singh Sengar in the 2017 Unnao rape case.

As per the causelist published on the website of the apex court, a vacation bench of Chief Justice of India (CJI) Surya Kant, and Justices J.K. Maheshwari and Augustine George Masih will take up the matter for hearing on Monday.

The CBI has moved the apex court against the December 23 order of the Delhi High Court allowing Sengar’s application for suspension of sentence during the pendency of his appeal.

It was learnt earlier that the CBI and the victim’s family had indicated their intention to challenge the Delhi High Court’s decision before the Supreme Court.

The family members of the survivor, along with women’s rights activists, have protested against the suspension of Sengar’s sentence, saying the bail order had "shaken public faith" and sent a wrong message on crimes against women.

In the Delhi High Court, the CBI had strongly opposed Sengar’s plea, highlighting the gravity of the offence and the potential risks involved.

In its order, a division bench of Justices Subramonium Prasad and Harish Vaidyanathan Shankar had suspended Sengar’s life sentence and granted him conditional bail during the pendency of his appeal, subject to strict conditions.

The Unnao rape case had triggered nationwide outrage. In December 2019, the trial court convicted Sengar of kidnapping and raping a minor girl and sentenced him to imprisonment for the remainder of his natural life, along with a fine of Rs 25 lakh.

The Supreme Court had earlier transferred all cases related to the incident from Uttar Pradesh to Delhi and directed that the trial be conducted on a day-to-day basis.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

FootballEast Bengal lift IWL trophy for the second time

NationalUttarakhand CM Dhami approves development schemes worth Rs 1,344 cr for statewide development

EntertainmentSalman Khan assures he is not lonely, says sometimes his social battery runs out

InternationalTrump says US halts 'planned' attack on Iran after appeals from Gulf leaders

NationalWest Bengal govt grants ED sanction to prosecute RG Kar's former principal Sandip Ghosh

National Realted Stories

NationalDelhi Court grants 24-hour transit remand of AAP Leader Deepak Singla to ED in alleged money laundering case

NationalBRS demands Union Minister Bandi Sanjay Kumar over son's arrest in POCSO case

NationalStone-pelting will not be tolerated, hooliganism will be eradicated from Bengal: Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari

NationalWe Are Offering Best Opportunities Available To Take Manufacturing to Next Level: PM Modi in Norway

NationalMP: One dead, several injured in Satna solvent plant boiler blast