City
Epaper

We don’t spare anyone, we will take action: K’taka HM on drug menace

By IANS | Updated: July 31, 2024 19:15 IST

Hubballi, (Karnataka) July 31 Karnataka Home Minister, G Parameshwara declared on Wednesday that the government will not spare ...

Open in App

Hubballi, (Karnataka) July 31 Karnataka Home Minister, G Parameshwara declared on Wednesday that the government will not spare anyone involved in drug peddling.

"We will take action even if it involves travelling out of the state," HM Parameshwara stated.

Addressing the media in Hubballi, HM Parameshwara explained that the state government has launched a special drive under the slogan 'Karnataka against Drugs' to combat the drug menace.

“We initiated this campaign, destroyed drugs worth thousands of crores, and filed cases against thousands of people. Officers have even shot drug peddlers in the leg for their involvement in drug trafficking,” he said.

He mentioned that drug peddling is also being monitored in North Karnataka.

“I receive daily updates about district headquarters. The drug menace has decreased compared to earlier, and strict actions are being taken,” he added.

Explaining why hundreds of drug users have been taken into custody instead of just the peddlers, HM Parameshwara said, “It is common sense that by arresting the users, we will eventually reach the peddlers. About 200 people were taken into custody, and 80 per cent of them tested positive for drugs.”

HM Parameshwara reported that the drug problem has lessened in Karnataka and added that senior officers have been instructed to visit schools and colleges to raise awareness.

Additionally, 150 foreigners were deported last year in connection with drug peddling.

Recently in Bengaluru, a Nigerian national was arrested, and four kilograms of MDMA worth Rs 4 crore was seized. “He was a peddler,” the HM confirmed.

HM Parameshwara also mentioned that the number of cyber police stations has increased from two to 43 as cybercrime has increased in the country and across the globe.

“People can register their complaints there. It is reassuring that cases are being solved and those involved in cybercrimes are being caught. Hundreds of crores have been recovered, accounts have been frozen, and money has been prevented from being siphoned off. We are also apprehending those who post communal content and cause disturbances,” HM Parameshwara said.

“There was a threat of a bomb explosion in 35 schools in Bengaluru, which originated from abroad and could not be traced. The threat email was later sent to more than 50 schools in New Delhi and also reached schools in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and Germany.

“How do we trace such threats? We will maintain constant vigilance,” he concluded.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

International"India remains committed to strengthening partnership with Vietnam": Defence Minister holds bilateral talks with Vietnam

Other SportsIPL 2026: Five teams remain in hunt for lone remaining playoff spot

NationalHeavy rain causes waterlogging; disrupts normal life, commute in parts of Karnataka

NationalPIL in Delhi HC seeks nationwide regulation of tattoo industry, mandatory safety standards

BusinessGlobal oil shock: OMCs raise fuel prices for second time in less than a week

National Realted Stories

NationalTwo murder accused injured in police encounter in Noida; two minors detained

NationalHaryana CM Saini cycles to Sukhna Lake to push save fuel message

NationalDelhi Police arrest man, recover stolen mobile phones and bike

NationalThree coaches of Ujjain Express derail in Rishikesh; probe on

NationalUP: Armed criminal with 25 cases intercepted in police encounter in Bulandshahr