City
Epaper

Aus Open: Djokovic, Sinner in same half of draw; Alcaraz to start against home hope Walton

By IANS | Updated: January 15, 2026 10:25 IST

Melbourne, Jan 15 The 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic and Jannik Sinner have been drawn in the ...

Open in App

Melbourne, Jan 15 The 24-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic and Jannik Sinner have been drawn in the same half of the Australian Open singles draw, which was revealed Thursday.

Djokovic begins his campaign against Pedro Martinez, while Sinner faces French lefty Hugo Gaston in the opening round.

Meanwhile, world No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz is in the same half as last year’s runner-up Alexander Zverev. The 22-year-old Spaniard, who is aiming to capture his seventh major crown and complete a career Grand Slam, begins against home hope Adam Walton.

The record 10-time champion Djokovic and two-time defending titlist Sinner could meet in a blockbuster semifinal at the season’s first major.

Djokovic, 38, is aiming for his 25th major crown, which would break his tie with Margaret Court for most major singles titles in tennis history.

Sinner, seeded second, is chasing a three-peat at Melbourne Park and his fifth major title overall, ATP reports.

Sinner made an appearance ahead of the draw ceremony and spoke about his outlook for the tournament. “The draw is very difficult; it doesn’t matter who you play. We are the best players in the world, and the way is very, very long and very far. We will go day by day," he was quoted by ATP Tour.

Other eye-catching opening-round matchups include sixth seed Alex de Minaur against former No. 6 Matteo Berrettini. Zverev faces hefty-serving Gabriel Diallo in the first round.

Meanwhile, fan favourite Thanasi Kokkinakis announced his withdrawal from men's singles shortly before the draw ceremony.

On Wednesday Kokkinakis withdrew from the Adelaide International second-round match due to a right shoulder injury, handing his opponent Valentin Vacherot a walkover.

He suffered a flare-up of his shoulder injury but defied the pain to secure a gallant victory in his first singles match in almost a year at the Adelaide International on Monday.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

CricketBBL on course to host 2026-27 season opener at Chennai's MA Chidambaram Stadium

NationalPetrol, diesel prices hiked by 90 paise per litre

NationalHyderabad: Illegal Oxytocin racket busted; 173 injections seized, one held

InternationalUS Senator Daines calls India one of America's most important partners

NationalManipur: Security forces recover arms, arrest several militants

Other Sports Realted Stories

Other SportsIPL 2026: Ishan deserves all the credit, says Pat Cummins after SRH’s playoff-clinching win over CSK

Other SportsIPL 2026: Everyone gave their hearts out, says Gaikwad, proud despite CSK's defeat to SRH

Other SportsBBL season opener could be played in Chennai in December

Other SportsIPL 2026: Ishan Kishan shines as SRH secure playoff berth with five-wicket win over CSK

Other SportsArchery: Dhiraj, Ankita to lead India's charge in Asian Games as Deepika, Atanu, Abhishek, Ojas miss out