City
Epaper

NZ's Penfold ruled out for remainder of the season with knee injury

By IANS | Updated: February 20, 2025 11:55 IST

Auckland, Feb 20 New Zealand women's pace bowler Molly Penfold has been ruled out for the remainder of ...

Open in App

Auckland, Feb 20 New Zealand women's pace bowler Molly Penfold has been ruled out for the remainder of the home summer after sustaining a torn meniscus to her left knee, the NZC said on Thursday.

The injury means Penfold will be unavailable for the remainder of the HBJ Shield and the inbound Sri Lanka and Australia series.

"Penfold sustained the injury while warming up ahead of the Auckland Hearts Hallyburton Johnstone (HBJ) Shield fixture earlier this month. The 23-year-old underwent surgery last week and is expected to return to full fitness in eight to twelve weeks’ time," the NZC statement read.

Penfold has nine wickets in 14 ODIs and seven in 10 T20Is. In the ODI series against Australia last December, she took a career-best 4- 42 in the second match at the Basin Reserve.

White Ferns coach Ben Sawyer said the news was disappointing for Penfold. “We’re all gutted for Molly. It’s a really unfortunate way for her summer to end, especially after strong contributions during the Rose Bowl series. The positive is that her recovery timelines should see her fit for our winter training schedule," he said.

New Zealand women will play three ODIs and three T20Is against Sri Lanka next month followed by three T20Is against Australia.

New Zealand will also be without Sophie Devine for the Sri Lanka matches as she continues to prioritise her well-being. She has also withdrew from the Super Smash and the 2025 Women’s Premier League after receiving professional advice.

As captain, Devine played a key role in helping the White Ferns win last year's ICC Women's T20 World Cup in the UAE in October. The all-rounder is on the cusp of a milestone, having ammassed 3990 runs in Women's ODIs, averaging 31.66 with the bat in international 50-over cricket.

Devine, part of RCB's title-winning campaign in 2024, was retained ahead of the 2025 auction. In the 2024 season, she scored 136 runs and took six wickets in ten matches. After her withdrawal from WPL 2025, RCB picked Heather Graham as Devine's replacements.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalUS lawmaker urges rolling restrictions on AI chip exports to curb China's military edge

CricketTri-nation series: With Asia Cup in sight, Afghanistan crumble to 39-run defeat against Pakistan

InternationalIndia, Japan set roadmap for the next decade, adopt joint declaration on security cooperation

CricketPakistan Beat Afghanistan by 39 Runs in UAE Tri-Series 2025; Haris Rauf Takes Four Wickets

International‘Opportunity to mitigate US tariffs impact’, say businessmen ahead of PM Modi-Jinping meet

Other Sports Realted Stories

Other SportsDPL 2025: Nitish Rana’s blazing ton powers West Delhi Lions into Qualifier 2

Other SportsUS Open: Rybakina dominates Raducanu for third-round victory

Other SportsPro Kabaddi League Services players honour naval legacy at INS Kursura

Other SportsAdith KC and Harish KN pair take lead in Dakshin Dare after Day 2

Other SportsPKL Season 12: Khatri, Inamdar shine as Puneri Paltan beat Bengaluru Bulls in tie-breaker