City
Epaper

152 children killed in E.Ukraine conflict since 2014

By IANS | Updated: June 5, 2021 14:50 IST

Kiev, June 5 The ongoing conflict in east Ukraine's Donbas, which comprises the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, ...

Open in App

Kiev, June 5 The ongoing conflict in east Ukraine's Donbas, which comprises the regions of Donetsk and Luhansk, has killed 152 children and injured 146 others from April 2014 to April 2021, according to authorities.

"Unfortunately, these painful statistics do not fully reflect the scale of the losses suffered by children during the long-lasting armed conflict," the Office of the Ombudsman of Ukraine said on its official Facebook page on Friday, citing the data from the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission.

The Ombudsman called on the Ukrainian government, parliament, state authorities and the public to make every effort to provide protection and safety of children from armed conflicts.

Earlier this week, Ukraine's Verkhovna Rada, or parliament, established June 4 as a day of remembrance for children who died from hostilities in Donbas.

The conflict in eastern Ukraine began in April 2014.

It has claimed some 14,000 lives and left 40,000 more wounded.

Parts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions along the Russian border have been controlled by rebels supported by Moscow for nearly seven years.

Despite the imposition of the latest ceasefire in 2015, around 50 people have been killed since the beginning of this year alone.

Kiev has repeatedly blamed Moscow for inciting the conflict.

Russia, however, has denied the charges, saying the accusations are groundless.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: KyivUn human rights monitoring missionFacebookFacebook connectivityAfter facebookNl salviCs - connectivityWhatsapp facebookFacebook newsFacebook twitterDonetskProduct administration
Open in App

Related Stories

TechnologyInstagram, WhatsApp To Stop Working in New Mexico? Here’s What Meta Says

MumbaiMumbai Fraud Alert: Nurse Duped of ₹1 Lakh via Fake Facebook Dress Ad, Case Filed

MumbaiMaharashtra Cyber Registers FIR Over Viral Obscene Videos Linked to Ashok Kharat

InternationalUK Watchdogs Urge Social Media Giants To Stop Children Accessing Platforms

MumbaiMumbai Cyber Fraud: Elderly Woman Duped of Rs 50.80 Lakh in Online Scam

Politics Realted Stories

PoliticsG Sudhakaran sworn in as pro-term speaker of Keralam Assembly

Politics"Before polls BJP said there would be no hike in prices, but rates increased after polls": Congress' Madhusudan Reddy

Politics"Living in his own world of delusions and lies": BJP's CR Kesavan slams Rahul Gandhi over "economic storm incoming" remarks

PoliticsAITC slams "fabricated" KMC notice linked to Abhishek Banerjee, warns of legal action

Politics"We will be starting Panchayat Raj in the hills": West Bengal Minister Dilip Ghosh