City
Epaper

Boris Johnson govt hit by more resignations

By IANS | Updated: July 6, 2022 16:00 IST

London, July 6 In a fresh blow to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who recently survived a leadership ...

Open in App

London, July 6 In a fresh blow to UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who recently survived a leadership challenge, three more have resigned from his government on Wednesday, media reports said.

Education ministers Will Quince and Robin Walker and ministerial aide Laura Trott on Wednesday, BBC reported.

Will Quince said he had "no choice but to tender my resignation" while Laura Trott said she was quitting over a loss of "trust" in the government.

The resignations have added to the pressure on the Prime Minister following the departure of his health and finance ministers.

Two of Boris Johnson's top ministers Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak and Health Secretary Sajid Javid quit the government on Tuesday.

"I have spoken to the Prime Minister to tender my resignation as Secretary of State for Health & Social Care. It has been an enormous privilege to serve in this role, but I regret that I can no longer continue in good conscience," Javid had said in a tweet.

Javid said he can no longer serve in Boris Johnson's government in "good conscience" as he has "lost confidence" in the Prime Minister.

Setting out his decision to quit in a letter, he wrote: "I am instinctively a team player but the British people also rightly expect integrity from their Government. The tone you set as a leader, and the values you represent, reflect on your colleagues, your party and ultimately the country. Conservatives at their best are seen as hard-headed decision makers, guided by strong values. We may not have always been popular, but we have been competent in acting in the national interest.

"Sadly, in the current circumstances, the public are concluding that we are now neither. The vote of confidence last month showed that a large number of our colleagues agree. It was a moment for humility, grip and a new direction. I regret to say, however, that it is clear to me that this situation will not change under your leadership - and you have therefore lost my confidence too."

Soon after, Sunak also put in his paper, saying "we're fundamentally too different".

In his letter, he said "the public rightly expect the government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously. I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning."

Noting that "our country is facing immense challenges", he said: "I publicly believe the public are ready to hear that truth. Our people know that if something is too good to be true then it's not true. They need to know that whilst there is a path to a better future, it is not an easy one.

"In preparation for our proposed joint speech on the economy next week, it has become clear to me that our approaches are fundamentally too different."

"I am sad to be leaving government but I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we cannot continue like this," he added.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: State for health & social careRobin walkerukbbcLondonBoris JohnsonPremier of saAustralia broadcasting corporationBbc radioBroadcasting corporationAdministrative capitalOrganisation secretary and member of parliament r.
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiMumbai: Police Arrest Visa Counsellor for Cheating Nepali Couple of ₹27 Lakh With Fake London Job and Visa Promise

Social ViralFoot-Washing Video at River Thames Goes Viral, Netizens Clash Over ‘Right or Wrong’

MumbaiMumbai Crime: Fraudsters Use Fake ED, SEBI Letters to Dupe Retired London Auditor of ₹15 Lakh; Cyber Police Recover Entire Amount

InternationalStorm Amy Live Tracker Map: Weather Warning Issued as Cyclonic Storm Hits UK; Check Real Time Updates on Windy

PuneNilesh Ghaywal, Pune Gangster and Accused in Kothrud Firing Case, Flees to London

Politics Realted Stories

MaharashtraSanjay Raut Says Sena–MNS Already Together No Need Others Permission

MaharashtraBig Jolt to Sharad Pawar as Salil Deshmukh, Son of Anil Deshmukh, Quits NCP-SP

PoliticsEknath Shinde Issues Strict No-Crossover Order After Meeting Amit Shah; Directive Communicated to All Shiv Sena Leaders

MaharashtraBMC Elections 2025: Devendra Fadnavis Says Clarity on Seat-Sharing Will Emerge in Two Days

NationalBJP Candidate Satish Kumar Leading Over Tejashwi Yadav in Raghopur Assembly Constituency