City
Epaper

China 'strongly' opposes US move to shoot down 'airship'

By IANS | Updated: February 5, 2023 08:25 IST

Beijing, Feb 5 China expressed strong dissatisfaction and opposition towards the US use of force to attack China's ...

Open in App

Beijing, Feb 5 China expressed strong dissatisfaction and opposition towards the US use of force to attack China's "civilian unmanned airship", Chinese Foreign Ministry said Sunday in a statement.

Earlier on Saturday, fighter jets shot down the balloon - which China claims was a civilian unmanned airship - that had been adrift across US airspace for days now.

"I ordered them to shoot it down," President Joe Biden said on Saturday confirming the downing of the Chinese contraption that had gripped the country in a frenzy since Thursday, when the US department of defense had first made it public, acknowledging, at the same time, it was not first such incident.

President Biden said he had ordered the military to shoot it down on Wednesday in internal discussions preceding the public disclosure. Military leaders had recommended waiting because of fear of falling debris on civilian population underneath.

Further affirmation of the shooting of the balloon followed in a statement from Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin. "This afternoon, at the direction of President Biden, US fighter aircraft assigned to US Northern Command successfully brought down the high altitude surveillance balloon launched by and belonging to the People's Republic of China (PRC) over the water off the coast of South Carolina in US airspace," he said.

He added that the balloon was being "used by the PRC in an attempt to surveil strategic sites in the continental United States.

He reiterated that the president had ordered it to be shot down on Wednesday as soon as the mission could be accomplished without undue risk to American lives under the balloon's path. "After careful analysis, US military commanders had determined downing the balloon while over land posed an undue risk to people across a wide area due to the size and altitude of the balloon and its surveillance payload," Austin said further and added, "In accordance with the President's direction, the Department of Defense developed options to take down the balloon safely over our territorial waters, while closely monitoring its path and intelligence collection activities."

The balloon was shot down just after it left the mainland and was above water, off the coast of South Carolina.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Lloyd AustinchinabeijingChinese Foreign MinistryJoe BidenJoe bidensBiden administrationJoseph bidenJoseph r biden jrYoungest congressPresidential committee
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake in China: Quake of Magnitude 6.0 Hits East China Sea

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

InternationalChina Miracle: Man Survives After Heart Stops Beating for 40 Hours Using This Technology

International'Illegal Military Operations': China Accuses US and Israel of Strait of Hormuz Crisis

Politics Realted Stories

PoliticsRahul Gandhi slams PM Modi over 'Melodi' toffees with Italian PM Meloni, says "they are acting as if it's all a joke" amid economic crisis

PoliticsVD Satheesan says SilverLine rail project denotified, calls it an "environmental disaster"

Politics"We will continue to insist on statehood": N Rangasamy confident of Centre granting statehood to Puducherry

PoliticsNot leadership, but a gimmick': Rahul Gandhi slams PM Modi over "distributing toffees in Italy!"

PoliticsG Parameshwara responds to criticism of "Pragathiyatta Karnataka" convention, clarifies district proposal