City
Epaper

Delhi: Court to pass order on Wednesday in Kejriwal's plea against his summon in criminal complaint

By ANI | Updated: October 29, 2019 11:45 IST

A session court will pass an order on Wednesday in a plea filed by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal challenging a magisterial order of issuing a summon against him in a criminal complaint.

Open in App

A session court will pass an order on Wednesday in a plea filed by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal challenging a magisterial order of issuing a summon against him in a criminal complaint.

Kejriwal through his legal team had challenged the magistrate court order which issued a summon against him as an accused.

The criminal complaint was filed by the founder of social media page 'I Support Narendra Modi' who alleged that the Chief Minister re-tweeted a defamatory video by YouTuber Dhruv Rathee in May 2018.

The court was hearing a complaint by Vikas Sankrityayan, who claimed that on May 6, 2018 "a number of false and defamatory allegations were made" in Rathee's video titled 'BJP IT Cell Part II'.

Sankrityayan said that Kejriwal re-tweeted the video from his twitter account without checking the authenticity of the video.

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in its order had directed Kejriwal to appear before the court on August 7.

"Therefore, in view of the discussion there exists sufficient grounds to proceed against the respondent Arvind Kejriwal under section 500 (defamation) IPC."Accordingly, Kejriwal is summoned for the commission of the offence of defamation...," the court said.

It said that "allegations in the video are prima facie defamatory and refers to complainant Vikas Sankrityayan making him an aggrieved person."

"The complainant alleged that the allegations made against him in the video are false, malicious and defamatory and it has lowered the reputation of the complainant in the eyes of right thinking members of the society. So far no proof has been tendered on the allegations," read Sankrityayan's complaint.

Kejriwal's legal team argued that even Dhruv Rathee who posted that video is not an accused but the complainant had made the Chief Minister as an accused in the complaint.

The court had reserved the order after concluding the arguments of both sides.

( With inputs from ANI )

Tags: Arvind KejriwalNarendra Modi
Open in App

Related Stories

OpinionsTread Carefully… There are Great Betrayals Along This Route!

National“Encouraging Infiltration Only for Greed of Power…”: PM Modi Slams TMC, Cong for Succumbing to ‘Appeasement Politics’

National“We Discussed Election Strategy…Will Do Our Best To Ensure Sudarshan Reddy Wins”: AAP Convenor Arvind Kejriwal

NationalJP Nadda Announces Maharashtra Governor CP Radhakrishnan as NDA’s Nominee for Vice President of India

NationalIndependence Day 2025: 'Start-ups in Tier-2 & Tier-3 Cities Contribute to Country’s Economic Strength & Innovation,' Says PM Narendra Modi

राजनीति Realted Stories

MumbaiAmeet Satam Appointed As Mumbai BJP President Ahead of BMC Polls

Maharashtra'Chaddi Baniyan' Protest at Maharashtra Assembly: Opposition Stages Agitation Against Sena MLA for Punching and Slapping Canteen Staff (Watch Video)

MaharashtraMaharashtra Monsoon Session: Ajit Pawar Slams Bhaskar Jadhav Over Fund Allegations, Says 'No Need for Unsolicited Advice'

MumbaiUddhav Thackeray Pats Raj Thackeray on Back at Victory Rally Speech; Emotional Video of Thackeray Brothers Goes Viral

MaharashtraMarathi Language Controversy: ‘Did I Pass a GR Against Brotherhood?’ Devendra Fadnavis Hits Back at Uddhav & Raj Thackeray