City
Epaper

Delhi riots: Umar Khalid's bail plea deferred third time

By IANS | Updated: March 23, 2022 19:46 IST

New Delhi, March 23 A Delhi court on Wednesday deferred the pronouncement of its verdict for the third ...

Open in App

New Delhi, March 23 A Delhi court on Wednesday deferred the pronouncement of its verdict for the third time on the bail application of former JNU student-activist Umar Khalid in a case related to the alleged "larger conspiracy" behind Delhi riots.

The pronouncement of the order, which was deferred twice before, was set to deliver by Additional Sessions Judge Amitabh Rawat on Wednesday. However, the judge said it was under correction and reserved the order for Thursday.

The order which was to be originally pronounced on March 14 had been listed for March 21. But the court deferred it following the filing of written notes by the prosecution and posted for March 23 (Wednesday).

On March 3, a bench had reserved its order after hearing the submissions of parties in the matter.

Opposing the bail plea, Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) Amit Prasad argued on the relevance of the speech given by Umar Khalid in Amravati in February 2020. He said the bail application was rejected on February 11, pointing out that the announcement of Donald Trump visiting India came on the same day.

During the course of the hearing, Khalid's counsel, opposing the charges under the Indian Penal Code and UAPA, termed the charge sheet a "work of fiction". He argued that the speech given by Khalid was about Gandhi, harmony, and the Constitution, and it is not a crime. After the submissions, the court had reserved the order.

Khalid, one of the accused in the conspiracy case, has been booked under the anti-terror law Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). The riots broke out in northeast Delhi in February 2020 after clashes between anti-CAA (Citizenship Amendment Act) and pro-CAA protesters took a violent turn.

The mayhem, which coincided with then US President Donald Trump's maiden trip to India, saw over 50 people lose their lives and over 700 injured.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Universidad Abierta Para AdultosAmitabh rawatdelhiNew DelhiUmar KhalidThe new delhi municipal councilDelhi south-west`delhiDelhi capitalSouth delhi district administrationIto delhi
Open in App

Related Stories

NationalPetrol, Diesel Price Hike: Fuel Prices Increase Second Time in a Week; Check Rates in Metro Cities

NationalDelhi: Female Teacher Arrested In Connection With 3-Year-Old Girl Assault

NationalHarish Rana Case: SC Praises Family’s Organ Donation Decision After Granting Passive Euthanasia

NationalDelhi Crime: Driver And Conductor Arrested Over Alleged Gang Rape of Woman in Private Bus in Nangloi

EntertainmentSonia Gandhi Hospitalised in Gurugram Hospital After Feeling Unwell

Politics Realted Stories

Politics"Supporters of BJP should chant 'Jai Shri Ram' and fuel price will drop by Rs 10": Sanjay Raut slams Centre

Politics"An economic storm is coming": Rahul Gandhi warns of massive financial shock to common people

Politics"Remained busy with elections, now begging America for cheaper Russian oil": Mallikarjun Kharge slams PM Modi over fresh fuel price hike

PoliticsFormer Uttarakhand CM Major General Bhuvan Chandra Khanduri (Retd) passes away in Dehradun

PoliticsUnion Home Minister Amit Shah chairs 26th Central Zone Council meeting in Chhattisgarh's Bastar