City
Epaper

Himachal court expresses anguish over CBI's probe into post-matric scholarship scheme

By IANS | Updated: April 4, 2022 19:20 IST

Shimla, April 4 The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Monday expressed anguish that despite lapse of six months, ...

Open in App

Shimla, April 4 The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Monday expressed anguish that despite lapse of six months, not even a single charge sheet has been filed by the CBI in wrongful and illegal disbursement and misappropriation of the Centre-funded Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme.

Earlier in the day, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) submitted its seventh status report in the high court. As per the report, the investigation found involvement of 1,176 institutions. Out of 266 private institutions, 28 have been found involved in the alleged scam.

CBI counsel said the investigation against 17 institutions is still under progress. At this, the court expressed anguish, saying that a similar situation was reported when the case was listed for hearing on October 20, 2021. It noted that despite lapse of six months, not even a single charge sheet has been filed.

Counsel tried to justify such position by contending that CBI has recorded the statements of 214 witnesses, but the court was not satisfied with such justification for not completing the investigation within six months.

The division bench comprising Chief Justice Mohammad Rafiq and Justice Jyotsna Rewal Dua passed this order on a writ petition of Shyam Lal of Bilaspur district.

The petitioner said Shakti Bhushan, who was appointed by the state government to inquire into misappropriation of the financial scholarships, lodged a first information report in 2018, and the inquiry report revealed that the huge sum of scholarship money was misappropriated and apart from the educational institutions within the state, scores of other educational institutions stationed in other states were also involved in the scam.

Meanwhile, the bench granted one more opportunity to the CBI to expeditiously complete the investigation and file the charge sheets before the court of competent jurisdiction.

Also, it directed the CBI to file a fresh status report on the next date of hearing on April 20.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Mohammad RafiqueJyotsna rewal duaCBIHimachal pradesh high court
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiMumbai: Retired Merchant Navy Radio Engineer Duped of ₹1.68 Crore by Cyber Fraudsters Posing as CBI, ED Officials

NashikNEET UG Paper Leak 2026: Accused Bought Paper for Rs 10 Lakh, Sold It for Rs 15 Lakh

NEET UG 2026 Exam Postponed: NTA Cancelled Common Test; Govt Orders CBI Probe Into Paper Leaked Case

BusinessCBI Raids 17 Mumbai Locations Linked To Anil Ambani-Led Reliance Group

MumbaiMumbai Cyber Fraud: Scammers Impersonate ATS & NIA, Dupe Couple of ₹2.84 Crore

Politics Realted Stories

Politics"If prices rise every four days, how can people survive?": CPI(M)'s Shanmugam demands roll back of fuel price hike

PoliticsCM Suvendu Adhikari announces North Bengal development push, promises AIIMS, IIT and cancer hospital

PoliticsAir India AI-171 crash probe in final stages, report expected soon: Civil Aviation Minister

Politics"Will PM provide them answers?" Sanjay Raut lambasts Centre, state amid AIOCD nationwide strike

Politics"Jan Aushadhi centres staying open during chemist protest a positive step": BJD's Sasmit Patra