City
Epaper

Prasar Bharati ends PTI subscription, seeks fresh proposal

By IANS | Updated: October 16, 2020 05:30 IST

New Delhi, Oct 16 Prasar Bharati has ended its subscription of news agency Press Trust of India (PTI) ...

Open in App

New Delhi, Oct 16 Prasar Bharati has ended its subscription of news agency Press Trust of India (PTI) and will now invite fresh proposals from other domestic news agencies, sources said.

PTI, the largest news agency of the country, is run by a Board comprising owners and proprietors of key newspaper groups and is a non-profit trust.

Prasar Bharati decided to end its "current ad-hoc pro-rata arrangement for the PTI subscription" four months after it was alleged that the agency's coverage of India-China clash was unfair and not in sync with national interest.

The national broadcaster is one of the biggest subscribers of the agency, and it pays PTI over Rs 6.75 crore annually, sources said.

A letter to both PTI and UNI has been sent regarding this.

Sources said that Prasar Bharati will initiate a process of inviting fresh proposals from all the news agencies including PTI and UNI.

A controversy broke when the national broadcaster sent a letter threatening to end its "relationship" over the alleged "anti-national" reportage by news agency in June this year.

PTI had carried an interview with Chinese Ambassador Sun Weidong, where he blamed India for the India-China violent standoff that saw 20 Indian bravehearts getting martyred.

Sources said a "strong letter" was sent to PTI just ahead of its Board meeting in June where the public broadcaster expressed "deep displeasure on anti-national reporting by PTI". The public broadcaster had communicated that the PTI's editorial stance makes it untenable to "continue the relationship".

Government sources claim that the broadcaster had been "supporting PTI with huge financial fees" which often ran into several crore. This ad-hoc pro-rata arrangement has been going on for decades, claimed the source. However, it insisted that PTI has been "rigid" on review of the same since 2016-17.

( With inputs from IANS )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Press Trust of IndiaindiaNew DelhiPrasar BharatiSun WeidongThe new delhi municipal councilDelhi south-westIndiUk-indiaRepublic of india
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndian Student in Canada Shares Gruelling Work-Study Routine, Internet Reacts

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

InternationalIranian President Calls for Constructive Role of Brics to Halt West Asia Conflict During Talks With PM Modi

LifestyleEid 2026 Date: When Will Saudi Arabia, UAE and India Celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr?

MaharashtraMaharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis Unfurls 200-Foot National Flag at Nagpur’s Kasturchand Park

Politics Realted Stories

PoliticsFormer Uttarakhand CM Major General Bhuvan Chandra Khanduri (Retd) passes away in Dehradun

PoliticsUnion Home Minister Amit Shah chairs 26th Central Zone Council meeting in Chhattisgarh's Bastar

PoliticsDelhi HC issues contempt notice to Kejriwal, Sisodia, Sanjay Singh over alleged remarks against Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma

Politics"Nitin Nabin's interaction with party workers will accelerate our pace of work": Odisha Deputy CM Pravati Parida

PoliticsCongress is the only viable alternative in Uttar Pradesh: AICC General Secy Avinash Pande in Saharanpur