City
Epaper

US imposes sanctions on 2 N.Korean nationals for assisting weapons programme

By IANS | Updated: June 16, 2023 05:40 IST

Washington, June 16 The US has imposed sanctions on two North Korean nationals based in China for assisting ...

Open in App

Washington, June 16 The US has imposed sanctions on two North Korean nationals based in China for assisting North Korea's "illegal" weapons development programmes, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.

The move came hours after Pyongyang fired two short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday, resuming its missile "provocation" after a brief pause, Yonhap news agency reported.

"Today, the United States is designating two Beijing-based Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) nationals connected to the DPRK's weapons of mass destruction (WMD) procurement," Blinken said in a released statement, referring to North Korea by its official name.

"The DPRK's development of its missile programmes directly threatens regional and international security, and the United States will continue to take action to curtail activities in support of those programs," he added.

North Korea has launched some 80 ballistic missiles since the start of last year in what the state department has repeatedly called "blatant violation" of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions.

Pyongyang fired two short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday (Korea time), about two weeks after its botched attempt to launch what it claimed to be a military spy satellite on May 31.

Those designated Thursday include Choe Chol-min, who, according to the state department, has worked with North Korean officials and Chinese nationals to "procure materials used in the production of DPRK missiles".

"He has also supported Second Academy of Natural Sciences (SANS) representatives to facilitate the importation of over a thousand DPRK workers into the PRC to unlawfully generate income abroad for the DPRK regime," the released statement said.

The department also designated his wife, Choe Un-jung, who is officially assigned to the North Korean embassy in Beijing.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Anthony BlinkenchinadprkbeijingChinese Foreign MinistryChinese EmbassyAmcham ChinaChina Pakistan Economic CorridorChina Southern AirlinesChina Eastern AirlinesYonhap
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalEarthquake In China: Several Missing As Multiple Buildings Collapse After 5.2-Magnitude Quake Hits Liuzhou

InternationalChina Factory Blast: At Least 21 Killed, Over 60 Injured in Explosion at Fireworks Plant in Guandu Township

InternationalChina Miracle: Man Survives After Heart Stops Beating for 40 Hours Using This Technology

International'Illegal Military Operations': China Accuses US and Israel of Strait of Hormuz Crisis

NationalDelhi Government Orders Removal of 2.5 Lakh Chinese CCTV Cameras Over Security Concerns

Politics Realted Stories

Politics"Why do you want to kill citizens in instalments?": Pawan Khera targets PM Modi over hike in fuel prices

PoliticsKeralam's new UDF Govt forms expert panel to prepare White Paper on State's finances

Politics"We had concrete evidence": Whistleblower details how 135 NEET-UG 2026 questions matched leak PDF

PoliticsCongress President Mallikarjun Kharge slams PM Modi over rising fuel, fertiliser prices

Politics"Preparing consumers for regular hikes": BRS' Ravula Sridhar Reddy slams Centre as petrol, diesel prices jump twice in a week