City
Epaper

Smartphone makers now prefer multiple chip providers amid crunch

By IANS | Updated: January 15, 2022 13:50 IST

New Delhi, Jan 15 Amid the global chip shortage, smartphone makers are diversifying the risks by picking multiple ...

Open in App

New Delhi, Jan 15 Amid the global chip shortage, smartphone makers are diversifying the risks by picking multiple chip makers to meet the demand, according to a new report.

The smartphone models launched in 2021 show increasing preference of original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) towards opting for multiple chipset suppliers for their smartphone portfolio.

According to market research firm Techarc, MediaTek led with 81 smartphone models launched on their chipset against Qualcomm which saw 51 launches in India.

Realme, Samsung and Motorola had three chipset suppliers for the smartphones launched in 2021.

"The chipset landscape is changing fast as we see OEMs now becoming a competition to the fabless chipset makers," said Manish Rawat, senior analyst, Techarc.

"In 2021, the trend just started to emerge with no major impact on the market but 2022 and beyond, OEMs are likely to strengthen their own chipset roadmaps reducing dependability on the SoC makers," he added.

While this gives OEMs better control on creating differentiation right at the core of the product, the opportunity for chipset makers, especially in premium and flagship products, is likely to squeeze as these OEMs are introducing them with proprietary chipsets, the report noted.

After Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Google and OPPO have already unveiled their chipsets.

Vivo also announced its first ISP (Image Signal Processor) last year.

Among the fabless chipset makers, this is likely to have a bigger impact on Qualcomm as its chipsets are used by leading OEMs for their premium and flagship models.

"At the same time, MediaTek would also see some impact on its Dimensity family which has started penetrating in the premium category of smartphones," said the report.

As 5G smartphone launches are taking place at multiple tiers of the market, it will be a close competition between Qualcomm and MediaTek in 2022 to steal the maximum 5G smartphone deals.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: New DelhiindiaTecharcMediatekManish Rawat
Open in App

Related Stories

InternationalIndian Student in Canada Shares Gruelling Work-Study Routine, Internet Reacts

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

InternationalIranian President Calls for Constructive Role of Brics to Halt West Asia Conflict During Talks With PM Modi

LifestyleEid 2026 Date: When Will Saudi Arabia, UAE and India Celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr?

MaharashtraMaharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis Unfurls 200-Foot National Flag at Nagpur’s Kasturchand Park

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyFrom offshore wind to green tech: India, Norway sign 5 strategic agreements

TechnologyMeta to commence layoffs of 10 pc of workforce from May 20

TechnologyTwo India-origin apps among finalists for 2026 Apple Design Awards

TechnologyAdani’s proposed $10 billion investment in US a ‘game-changer’: Indian American leader

TechnologyAdani case closure a booster for India-US economic ties: USISPF