City
Epaper

Zuckerberg, Pichai, Dorsey to face US misinformation hearing

By IANS | Updated: February 19, 2021 10:50 IST

San Francisco, Feb 19 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Alphabet and Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Twitter CEO Jack ...

Open in App

San Francisco, Feb 19 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Alphabet and Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey will face a new US House hearing next month on the spread of misinformation on their platforms.

Set for March 25, the hearing will grill the tech CEOs on misinformation and disinformation plaguing online platforms.

Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Frank Pallone, Jr. announced on Thursday that the Communications and Technology Subcommittee and the Consumer Protection and Commerce Subcommittee will hold this joint hearing online.

"Whether it be falsehoods about the Covid-19 vaccine or debunked claims of election fraud, these online platforms have allowed misinformation to spread, intensifying national crises with real-life, grim consequences for public health and safety," Pallone said in a statement on Thursday.

"This hearing will continue the Committee's work of holding online platforms accountable for the growing rise of misinformation and disinformation," Pallone added.

Dorsey and Zuckerberg previously appeared before the US Congress in November, for the Senate Judiciary's hearing on moderation and misinformation labelling.

This will be the first hearing by the tech giants after the Capital Chaos on January 6 and various actions the companies took in the wake of the attack.

"For far too long, big tech has failed to acknowledge the role they've played in fomenting and elevating blatantly false information to its online audiences," the House Energy and Commerce Committee said.

"Industry self-regulation has failed. We must begin the work of changing incentives driving social media companies to allow and even promote misinformation and disinformation," the committee noted.

The tech platforms are facing intense scrutiny over the spread of fake news, hate speech and misinformation on their platforms for quite some time and have not bene able to satisfy the governments worldwide with their answers.

( With inputs from IANS )

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: usgoogleMark ZuckerbergSan FranciscoSundar PichaiFacebookSan francisco bayWord on macWho dgMicrosoft inc
Open in App

Related Stories

LifestyleGoogle Rolls Out Mother’s Day 2026 Doodle; Search Engine Giant Celebrates Occasion With Handcrafted Card

TechnologyInstagram, WhatsApp To Stop Working in New Mexico? Here’s What Meta Says

MumbaiMumbai Fraud Alert: Nurse Duped of ₹1 Lakh via Fake Facebook Dress Ad, Case Filed

InternationalDonald Trump Hellhole Remarks: Iran’s Mumbai Consulate Takes Dig at the US President With Cultural Jab

InternationalKentucky Shooting: At Least 4 Killed, Including Suspect And Family Members In Adair County Standoff

Technology Realted Stories

TechnologyOver 8.5 million developers use Google AI models monthly, plans $190 billion capex: Sundar Pichai

TechnologySolar, wind expansion in India set to trigger $10–15 billion land investments by 2030

TechnologyMeta Platforms begins layoffs affecting 8,000 employees amid AI restructuring

TechnologySamsung Electronics' union to proceed with strike

TechnologyGovt plans Rs 4,800 crore inland waterways push in northeast in next 5 years