City
Epaper

Firefighters continue to battle out-of-control bushfires in Australia's Victoria

By IANS | Updated: December 26, 2024 14:50 IST

Sydney, Dec 26 Firefighters were facing difficulty as they battled blazes across the Australian state of Victoria on ...

Open in App

Sydney, Dec 26 Firefighters were facing difficulty as they battled blazes across the Australian state of Victoria on Thursday and braced for further challenging conditions, Victoria Emergency Management Commissioner Rick Nugent said.

A total fire ban was in place across Victoria, as high temperatures and strong winds were expected to create the worst conditions for bushfires seen in years, reports Xinhua news agency.

Nugent told reporters that gusty northerly winds were pushing some of the fire at the Grampians National Park south in Victoria.

"It's also making it difficult for any new starts that occur across the state, which (we) have had a number of already," he said.

"This will be followed by a change in wind conditions that will move across to the southwest ... which, again, (makes) it really problematic for firefighters with any of those existing fires."

The Grampians National Park fire has already burnt about 55,000 hectares of land, causing significant damage, including environmental damage, livestock losses, and damage to outbuildings and sheds.

"We have no reports as yet of residential homes (destroyed), but there are many residents (at the) Grampians, so I wouldn't be surprised at some point if we do have residential losses," he said.

Luke Heagerty from Victoria's State Control Center said the situation at the Grampians was changing rapidly.

"We've seen significant fire development this afternoon as we anticipated, with that wind change really starting to affect parts of the fire ground," he said.

"We've seen the expansion of the fire to the southeast this morning and early this afternoon with the northwesterly winds."

He said this afternoon's winds knocked down trees, which may impact people trying to leave the area.

Earlier on Friday, authorities confirmed that property losses were reported in Victoria as extreme heat and blustery conditions fanned up bushfires, especially in the state's west.

"Now we are sadly hearing reports of property loss that are starting to come through given the active nature of the fire and the difficult terrain in the area," Premier of Victoria Jacinta Allan said at the State Control Center.

Thursday saw an out-of-control bushfire at Bayindeen Rocky Road, sprawling to nearby communities.

As of Friday morning, the fire has burnt over 11,000 hectares in size, while two emergency warnings related to the blaze are currently in place, urging residents to leave immediately before conditions become too dangerous.

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Open in App

Related Stories

HealthHealth Tips: Fruit Juice and Soft Drinks Equally Harmful For Our Health? Here's What Expert Says

EntertainmentNawazuddin Siddiqui on I'm Not An Actor screening at South Asian Film Festival: 'They’re very caring'

BusinessStellar Q1 GDP growth across sectors absolutely exhilarating: NSE's Ashishkumar Chauhan

NationalMan 'kills' daughter, burns body over inter-caste affair in Karnataka

NationalStellar Q1 GDP growth across sectors absolutely exhilarating: NSE's Ashishkumar Chauhan

International Realted Stories

InternationalIndian diaspora in Tianjin welcomes PM Modi with great enthusiasm ahead of SCO Summit

InternationalDiscussed railways throughout hour-and-a-half bullet train journey with PM Modi: Ishiba

InternationalBalochistan: Sammi Deen Baloch slams state repression after BYC member's alleged abduction

InternationalPM Modi arrives in China's Tianjin to attend SCO Summit

InternationalExplained: How Peter Navarro’s allegations on India buying Russian oil hold no water