City
Epaper

Pope 'pained' by Hagia Sophia mosque decision

By IANS | Updated: July 13, 2020 05:30 IST

Vatican City, July 13 Pope Francis has said he's "pained" by Turkey's decision to convert Istanbul's Hagia Sophia ...

Open in App

Vatican City, July 13 Pope Francis has said he's "pained" by Turkey's decision to convert Istanbul's Hagia Sophia back into a mosque.

Speaking at a service in the Vatican, the Roman Catholic leader added that his "thoughts go to Istanbul", the BBC reported.

Hagia Sophia was built as a Christian cathedral nearly 1,500 years ago and turned into a mosque after the Ottoman conquest of 1453.

The Unesco World Heritage Site became a museum in 1934 under Turkish Republic founding father Ataturk.

But earlier this week a Turkish court annulled the site's museum status, saying its use as anything other than a mosque was "not possible legally".

Pope Francis confined himself to a few words on the issue: "My thoughts go to Istanbul. I think of Santa Sophia and I am very pained."

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the first Muslim prayers would be held in Hagia Sophia on July 24.

Shortly after the announcement, the first call to prayer was recited at the site and broadcast on all of Turkey's main news channels. Hagia Sophia's social media channels have also been taken down.

Islamists in Turkey have long called for it to become a mosque again but secular opposition members opposed the move.

Defending the decision, President Erdogan stressed that the country had exercised its sovereign right, and he added that the building would remain open to all Muslims, non-Muslims and foreign visitors.

The Pope is one of several religious and political leaders worldwide who have criticised the move.

The World Council of Churches has called on President Erdogan to reverse the decision. The Church in Russia, home to the world's largest Orthodox Christian community, immediately expressed regret that the Turkish court had not taken its concerns into account when ruling on Hagia Sophia.

It has also drawn condemnation from Greece, and Unesco said its World Heritage Committee would now review the monument's status.

One of Turkey's most famous authors, Orhan Pamuk, told the BBC that the decision would take away the "pride" some Turks had in being a secular Muslim nation.

"There are millions of secular Turks like me who are crying against this but their voices are not heard," said Pamuk.

( With inputs from IANS )

Tags: World Heritage SiteRecep tayyip erdoganbbcTurkeyIstanbulAustralia broadcasting corporationBbc radioBroadcasting corporation
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiDawood Ibrahim’s Aide Salim Dola Deported From Turkey to India, Lands in Delhi

Health#1 Istanbul Vita – the Best Hair Transplant Clinic in 2026

MumbaiIndian Drug Mafia Operative Salim Dola Caught in Turkey; Linked to Global Narcotics Network

InternationalIstanbul Shooting: 1 Attacker Dead, Police Officer Injured Amid Chaos near Israeli Consulate

InternationalIraq Resumes Oil Exports via Kurdish Pipeline Amid West Asia War and Supply Crisis

International Realted Stories

InternationalNordic nations condemn Pahalgam, Red Fort terror attacks at Oslo Summit; vow stronger anti-terror cooperation in joint statement with India

InternationalIndia, Nordic nations stress on WTO's central role, maritime security cooperation at Oslo Summit

InternationalInvestment from Nordic countries in India increased by nearly 200% in last decade: PM Modi

InternationalWill focus on strengthening cooperation between India and Italy: PM Modi upon arrival in Rome

InternationalUS Imposes Fresh Sanctions on Iran-Linked Exchange Firms, Oil Vessels Under ‘Economic Fury’