City
Epaper

Turkey in dire need of agriculture support after devastating quakes

By IANS | Updated: February 22, 2023 03:35 IST

Istanbul, Feb 22 The major twin earthquakes that struck southern Turkey this month have raised serious concerns about ...

Open in App

Istanbul, Feb 22 The major twin earthquakes that struck southern Turkey this month have raised serious concerns about the country's agricultural capacity as the 10 hardest-hit provinces are home to about 3.58 million hectare of agricultural land, or 15 per cent of the nation's total.

The provinces are responsible for 15.5 per cent of all planted grains and crops, 15.2 per cent of vegetables and 25.2 per cent of fruit and spices in Turkey, with nearly a fifth of the $34.2-billion agricultural exports last year coming from the region, according to a report by the financial daily Dunya.

Agricultural drought had already been causing concern in Turkey even before the disaster, as the government released a five-year action plan for agricultural drought just a week before the devastating earthquakes, Xinhua news agency reported.

"Drought is something we are going to have to accept ... We need to take certain precautions to minimise it immediately," Agriculture and Forestry Minister Vahit Kirisci said.

The massive earthquakes have only exacerbated the problem.

"With years of climate change, widespread drought, and serious risks faced by agricultural production during summer months ... we will reach their maximum level in the wake of the earthquakes," Yusuf Demir, a professor of the Faculty of Agriculture of the Ondokuz Mayis University, told daily Birgun.

"Farmers need to get hold of seeds, fertiliser, pesticides. Meanwhile, people are struggling to survive, their houses are destroyed, and their tractors don't work," he warned.

Toward this end, Kirisci, the Agriculture Minister, announced last week that nearly 50 million Turkish liras ($2.6 million) in agricultural support were being paid out to farmers.

Meanwhile, the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the UN issued a flash appeal "seeking $25 million to reach 900,000 rural people in all 10 affected provinces (in Turkey) ... over the next three months."

Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor

Tags: Razia SultanYusuf demirXinhuaTurkeyIstanbulTurkiye
Open in App

Related Stories

MumbaiDawood Ibrahim’s Aide Salim Dola Deported From Turkey to India, Lands in Delhi

Health#1 Istanbul Vita – the Best Hair Transplant Clinic in 2026

MumbaiIndian Drug Mafia Operative Salim Dola Caught in Turkey; Linked to Global Narcotics Network

InternationalIstanbul Shooting: 1 Attacker Dead, Police Officer Injured Amid Chaos near Israeli Consulate

InternationalIraq Resumes Oil Exports via Kurdish Pipeline Amid West Asia War and Supply Crisis

International Realted Stories

InternationalFrom hunger to horror: Afghan families selling kids, often daughters, to stay alive

InternationalPakistan: KP's North Waziristan faces humanitarian crisis again

InternationalIRGC warns "war will be extended outside the Middle East" if Iran faces new military action

InternationalBangladesh Police hands over body of Indian official to High Commission

InternationalPM Modi holds delegation-level meeting with Italian President Sergio Mattarella